Current Affair September 2018
1. United States and Morocco have launched GCTF Terrorist Travel Initiative under auspices of Global Counterterrorism Forum (GCTF). The initiative brings together stakeholders to share expertise on developing and implementing effective counterterrorism watchlisting and screening tools. It was launched on sidelines of United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) session in New York.
2. Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs has partnered with Google to launch Loo Review campaign on Google Map. The joint campaign has been launched under aegis of Swachh Bharat Mission – Urban (SBM–U). It will run throughout October and November 2018 in an effort to increase awareness and ease of locating public toilets across India.
3. India has signed two loan agreement with Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) for construction of Mumbai-Ahmedabad High Speed Rail Project and Kolkata East West Metro Project. Under these agreements, Japan will provide Official Development Assistance (ODA) loan of around Rs 5,500 crore as tranche 1 for Mumbai-Ahmedabad bullet train project Rs.1619 crore for tranche 3 Kolkata East-West Metro Project .
4. The Union Ministry of Corporate Affairs (MCA) has constituted High Level Committee on Corporate Social Responsibility – 2018 (HLC-2018) under Chairmanship of Injeti Srinivas, Secretary, MCA. It will review existing framework and guide and formulate roadmap for coherent policy on Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR).
5. NITI Aayog has singed Statement of Intent (SoI) with Oracle to pilot real drug supply-chain using blockchain distributed ledger and Internet of Things (IoT) software to fight growing problem of counterfeit drugs in India. Strides Pharma Sciences and Apollo Hospitals will partner in this effort. Oracle is US multinational computer technology corporation that specializes primarily in developing and marketing database software and technology, cloud engineered systems, and enterprise software products.
6. Union Railway Ministry has launched Rail Heritage Digitisation Project in collaboration with Google Arts and Culture Association. It can be accessed at “https://artsandculture.google.com/project/indian-railways”. It is first-of-its-kind project that aims to showcase India’s rail heritage to the national and international audience in an online story-telling platform. It is also largest cultural heritage digitisation project in India and possibly in entire Asia Pacific Region.
7. NITI Aayog and United Nations in India signed Sustainable Development Framework for 2018-2022. The agreement is reflection of commitment and efforts made by India towards attaining Sustainable Development Goals.
8. Government has constituted eight-member search committee headed by former Supreme Court judge Justice Ranjana Prakash Desai, to recommend names for posts of Lokpal chairperson and members. The selection process of Lokpal is underway as per guidelines of laid down in Lokpal and Lokayuktas Act, 2013.
9. Election Commission (EC) has announced that Model Code of Conduct comes into force immediately in states where legislative assemblies have been dissolved prematurely. It also held that after dissolution caretaker government as well as the central government is barred from announcing new schemes in particular state from date of dissolution of legislative assembly till new House is elected.
10. Union Government has enhanced its contribution in State Disaster Response fund (SDRF) from 75% to 90%. Now, Central government will contribute 90% and all States will contribute 10% to the SDRF. With this enhancement Central Government’s additional contribution in SDRF will be Rs. 1690.35 crore for the year 2018-19 and Rs. 1774.67 crore for the financial year 2019-20.
11. United States and India have formed ‘USAID-India End TB Alliance comprising leading experts in public and private sectors to combat the menace of tuberculosis. It was announced by US Agency for International Development (USAID) administrator Mark Green at event in New York in presence of Union Health Minister J P Nadda.
12. Multilateral lender Asian Development Bank (ADB) will provide US $150 million loan for establishing first multi-skills park in central Indian state of Madhya Pradesh. This new flagship GSP campus will be established in state capital Bhopal from where about 20,000 people are expected to be benefited.
13. Union Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare launched online software for processing applications Agmark quality certification mark for agricultural products. It was launched by Agriculture Minister Radha Mohan Singh.
14. The Union Cabinet has approved conversion of Goods and Services Tax Network (GSTN) into government-owned company. Government will now own 100% of GSTN which is IT backbone to GST regime. Majority of Goods and Services Tax (GST) processes including registration, filing of returns, payment of taxes, processing of refunds is IT driven and mainly through GSTN.
15. Union Government has approved Rs 8,606 crore for 60 projects being implemented under umbrella scheme of Border Infrastructure and Management (BIM). The projects are being implemented in 111 border districts in 17 states having the international borders with Pakistan, China, Nepal, Bhutan, Myanmar and Bangladesh. It will help to meet special development needs of people living in those areas within 50 kms of the international border. India shares borders with Pakistan (3,323 km), China (3,488 km), Nepal (1,751 km), Bhutan (699 km), Myanmar (1,643 km) and Bangladesh (4,096 km).
16. Supreme Court has unanimously struck down Section 497 of Indian Penal Code (IPC) 1860 that makes adultery punishable offence for men. The judgment was given by five-judge bench of the Supreme Court including Chief Justice of India Dipak Misra on petition filed by non-resident Keralite Joseph Shine. Justice Indu Malhotra was lone woman judge on this bench.
17. The National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) will soon raise four more battalions, adding to existing 12. The four new battalions would be stationed in Jammu and Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand and NCR Delhi. These battalions be modernised to meet international standards. NDRF also has proposed to have exclusive women contingents within battalions to take care of women during times of distress.
18. The Union Finance Ministry has increased import duty on 19 ‘non-essential items’ high-end consumer items to curb import of certain imported items. This decision was taken in effort to stabilise depreciating rupee by narrowing current account deficit (CAD) and get outgoing foreign funds flowing back to India.
19. Northern states of Punjab, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh, Himachal Pradesh and Union Territories of Delhi and Chandigarh have agreed to fix uniform tax rates on petroleum products, amid rising fuel prices. Besides, these states and UTs also have agreed to bring uniformity in taxes on liquor and registration of vehicles and transport permit. This decision will lead to increase in government revenue and at the same time curb black marketing. It will also help to curb diversion of trade.
20. 25th September was observed as Antyodaya Diwas across the country to mark the birth anniversary of Pandit Deendayal Upadhyaya, a noted philosopher, historian and political activist. Antyodaya means uplifting of the weakest section of the society. Several activities including blood donation camps, seminar, symposia were organised on this occasion across the country.
21. Andhra Pradesh has topped Ease of Living Index rankings under AMRUT (Atal Mission for Rejuvenation and Urban Transformation). It was followed by Odisha and Madhya Pradesh. The three states were awarded best-performing states at National Dissemination Workshop on Ease of Living Index, 2018 held in New Delhi.
22. The 21st Central Zonal Council meeting was held in Lucknow, capital of Uttar Pradesh. It was chaired by Union Home Minister r Rajnath Singh. It was attended by Chief Ministers of Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand while representative ministers of Madhya Pradesh and Chattisgarh.
23. Union Ministry of Parliamentary Affairs had held two-day National Orientation workshop on National e-Vidhan Application (NeVA) in New Delhi. It was inaugurated by Union Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs Arjun Ram Meghwal. On this occasion, new website of NeVA was also launched.
24. Vice-President M Venkaiah Naidu inaugurated two coastal tourism circuit projects in Andhra Pradesh taken up under Swadesh Darshan Scheme. These projects are aimed at boosting beach and coastal tourism by leveraging bountiful coastlines along the state.
25. Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched ambitious Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (PMJAY), under Ayushman Bharat umbrella at Ranchi, Jharkhand. The scheme aims to provide annual health insurance cover of Rs 5 lakh to 10.74 crore beneficiary families i.e. over 50 crore beneficiaries across India. It is touted as world’s largest healthcare scheme that will serve beneficiary population that equals 27-28 European countries and almost equal to population of Canada, Mexico and US put together. The scheme will become operational from September 25, 2018 i.e. on birth anniversary of Deendayal Upadhyay.
26. India and Nepal during the 5th meeting of Boundary Working Group (BWG) held in Kathmandu have agreed to explore possibility of using high resolution satellite images in boundary survey work. BWG is joint body constituted by India and Nepal in 2014 to conduct works in fields of construction, restoration and repair of boundary pillars, including clearance of no-man’s land and other technical task.
27. President Ram Nath Kovind has inaugurated centenary celebrations of Dakshina Bharat Hindi Prachar Sabha on 22 September 2018 in New Delhi. DBHPS is an autonomous body functioning under the grant from Union Government.
28. Union Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) has launched India’s National Database of Sexual Offenders (NDSO). With this, India became the ninth nation to maintain such thorough database. NDSO will not be available for general public but only to law enforcement agencies for effectively tracking and investigating cases of sexual offences
29. Union Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) has launched Cyber Crime Prevention against Women and Children (CCPWC) portal (www.cybercrime.gov.in) to check objectionable online content. The portal will allow citizens to lodge complaints on objectionable online content related to child pornography, child sexual abuse material and sexually explicit material such as rape and gang rape.
30. Union Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) has signed Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) to set up of state-of-the-art Integrated Control Room for Emergency Response (ICR-ER). ISRO will render its technical expertise for setting up of proposed ICR-ER.
31. Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW) has recently exchanged MoUs with Tata Trusts and Dell to provide technological platform for nationwide prevention, control, screening and management program of Non Communicable Diseases (NCDs).
32. Prime Minister Narendra Modi laid foundation stone of India International Convention and Expo Centre (IICC) in Sector 25, Dwarka, New Delhi. On completion, it will be biggest indoor exhibition space in India and also rank among the top 10 in the world.
33. Prime Minister Narendra Modi laid foundation stone of India International Convention and Expo Centre (IICC) in Sector 25, Dwarka, New Delhi. On completion, it will be biggest indoor exhibition space in India and also rank among the top 10 in the world.
34. India has decided to place four more reactors under International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) safeguards. It was announced Sekhar Basu, Chairman, Atomic Energy Commission (AEC) at 62nd General Conference of IAEA held in Vienna, Austria. The four reactors include
35. Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) has approved Revised Cost Estimate of Dam Rehabilitation and Improvement Project (DRIP). It has been increased to Rs. 3,466 crore from earlier Rs. 1968 crore. CCEA also gave approval for two-year time extension for project from July 2018 to June 2020.
36. The Employee’s State Insurance (ESI) has rolled out Atal Bimit Vyakti Kalyan Yojna for providing unemployment allowance to workers rendered jobless due to changing employment pattern. It was announced at 175th ESI Corporation meeting chaired by Union Labour Minister Santosh Gangwar in New Delhi.
37. India and Russia joint air exercise Aviaindra 18 was held in Lipetsk, Russia from September 17 to 28, 2018. The second session of Aviaindra 18 will be conducted in Jodhpur, Rajasthan (India) from December 10 Dec to 22, 2018
38. Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has launched pilot project for transport of sputum specimen for Tuberculosis (TB) Diagnosis by utilising services of Department of Post in Karawal Nagar, New Delhi. The learning from this pilot project experience will be useful for adaptation of specimen transport mechanism through Postal Department across the country.
39. Union Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) has launched its monthly e-newsletter MSME Insider. The e-newsletter will give information of activities undertaken by MSME Ministry and also act as bridge between Ministry and millions of MSME units spread across the country.
40. India and Morocco have signed revised Air Services Agreement between two countries enabling greater air connectivity through modernized agreement. The agreement will enable code sharing with airlines of other party. It will also provide greater freedom in mounting direct flights. In long term this agreement will enable people of each country to travel to other country leading to better economic and cultural ties.
41. Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Bangladeshi counterpart Sheikh Hasina jointly launched the construction of India-Bangladesh Friendship Product Pipeline Project through video conferencing. It is first such pipeline through which refined diesel will be supplied to Bangladesh from India.
42. Union Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) has launched e-Sahaj portal to facilitate individuals and private companies in seeking security clearance for setting up businesses in certain sensitive sectors. The portal aims to bring greater transparency in according security clearances to business proposals relating to sensitive sectors and geographical locations.
43. Union government (Agriculture and Environment ministries) along with UN body Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) has launched agriculture project that seeks to bring transformative change in farm sector through conservation of biodiversity and forest landscapes. It will be implemented in five states viz. Madhya Pradesh, Mizoram, Odisha, Rajasthan and Uttarakhand.
44. India and Germany have singed Memorandum of Agreement (MoA) on skill development, which will provide dual vocational education and training to Indian youth. It was signed between Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE) and Indo-German Chamber of Commerce (IGCC).
45. Union Government has inked US$74 million loan agreement for International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD) Credit for Uttrakhand Workforce Development Project (UKWDP).
46. Bangladesh Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina has approved draft agreement allowing India to use its Chittagong and Mongla ports to transport cargo to and from its northeastern states. The draft was prepared after both neighboring countries had signed Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on the use of two ports during Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to Dhaka in June, 2015.
47. India and Malta signed three Memorandum of Understandings (MoUs) in the fields of Maritime Cooperation, Tourism and Training. These MoUs were signed after delegation level talks between Vice President Venkaiah Naidu and President of Malta, Ms. Marie-Louise Coleiro Preca. Vice President Naidu visited in Malta in the second phase of his visit to three European countries viz. Serbia, Malta and Romania. It was the first senior Indian leader to visit Mediterranean nation in last 28 years.
48. 7th UNWTO Global Summit on Urban Tourism was held in Seoul, capital of South Korea from 16 to 19 September, 2018. The theme of the summit was 'A 2030 Vision for Urban Tourism'. The summit was co-organized by World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) and Seoul Metropolitan Government and supported by Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism of South Korea Korea Tourism Organization and Seoul Tourism Organization.
49. Union Cabinet recently approved new umbrella scheme “Pradhan Mantri Annadata Aay SanraksHan Abhiyan” (PM-AASHA) to give major boost to pro-farmer initiatives of Government. The Scheme is aimed at ensuring remunerative prices to e farmers for their produce as announced in Union Budget for 2018.
50. Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi has approved continuation of Capacity Development Scheme for period 2017-18 to 2019-20. It is ongoing Central Sector Scheme of Ministry of Statistics and Program Implementation (MoSPI).
51. Union Ministry of Tourism has inaugurated India’s first tribal circuit project connecting 13 tourism sites in Chhattisgarh under Swadesh Darshan Scheme. The circuit connects Jashpur, Kunkuri, Mainpat, Kamleshpur, Maheshpur, Kurdar, Sarodadadar, Gangrel, Kondagaon, Nathiya Nawagaon, Jagdalpur, Chitrakoot, and Tirthgarh in Chhattisgarh.
52. Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) has approved 100% electrification broad gauge routes of Indian Railways (IR) by 2021-22. The 100% electrification will reduce use of imported fossil fuels thereby improve energy security. Reduction in consumption of high speed diesel oil will also result in reduction of GHG emissions, thus, reduce environmental impact of Railways.
53. Union Ministry of Agriculture & Farmers Welfare has launched Dairy Processing & Infrastructure Development Fund (DIDF) Scheme with an outlay of Rs. 10881 crore. Under this fund, first installment of Rs. 440 crore was given to National Dairy Development Board (NDDB).
54. Union Ministry for Minority Affairs has launched the country’s first National Scholarship Portal Mobile App (NSP Mobile App). It aims to provide smooth, accessible and hassle-free scholarship system for students from poor and weaker sections.
55. National Hindi Divas (हिंदी दिवस) is observed every year on 14 September in Hindi speaking regions of India and other countries with Hindi speaking population. Observance of this day aims to propagate Hindi language and its cultural heritage and values. It also seeks to promote Hindi as matra bhasha (mother tongue) of India and show its importance as a language in country and world at large.
56. Union Ministry of Water Resources has instituted National Water Awards with objective to encourage all stakeholders to manage their water resources efficiently and create water consciousness in the country. The awards will be given for 13 categories
57. India’s first 205T Electric Drive Rear Dump Truck (Model BH205-E), designed and developed by Bharat Earth Movers Limited (BEML) was flagged off recently. The dump truck has been developed for use in the project of Northern Coalfields Limited (NCL), Singrauli, Madhya Pradesh. It will also help to address the growing demand for higher capacity equipments in mining industry.
58. Union Cabinet has approved MoU signed between Export-Import Bank of India (Exim Bank) and member banks under BRICS Interbank Cooperation Mechanism on Collaborative Research on Distributed Ledger and Block chain Technology in context of development of digital economy.
59. Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has prohibited manufacture, sale, distribution of 328 Fixed Dose Combinations (FDCs) for human use with immediate effect. It has also restricted manufacture, sale or distribution of six FDCs subject to certain conditions. This ban was imposed by Health Ministry by exercising powers conferred to it section 26A of Drugs and Cosmetics Act, 1940.
60. Union Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) and Telecommunications Consultants India Ltd (TCIL) have signed agreement for implementation of e-VidyaBharati and e-AarogyaBharati (e-VBAB) Network Project in Africa. The project is seen as digital bridge of knowledge and health between India and Africa. It is also considered as important milestone in India’s development partnership with Africa.
61. NITI Aayog, Intel, and Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR) are collaborating to set up Model International Center for Transformative Artificial Intelligence (ICTAI) in Bengaluru, capital of Karnataka. This collaboration is part of NITI Aayog’s 'National Strategy for Artificial Intelligence' Discussion Paper that focuses on establishing ICTAI in the country through private sector collaboration. The model centre is aimed at solving major challenges in India with special focus on application-based AI research in healthcare, agriculture and smart mobility.
62. Election Commission of India (EC) had removed NOTA (None of the Above) option from ballot papers of Rajya Sabha, Legislative Council elections following directive of Supreme Court. The NOTA option, henceforth will be only available in direct elections such as Lok Sabha and state assembly elections.
63. Union Ministry of Railways has launched Rail Sahyog web portal (www.railsahyog.in). It will provide platform for Corporates and PSUs to fund creation of amenities at railway stations through Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) funds.
64. Prime Minister Narendra Modi has announced landmark increase in remuneration for ASHA and Anganwadi workers. The announcement will be effective from October 2018. It was made during video bridge interaction with lakhs of ASHA, Anganwadi and ANM (Auxiliary Nurse Midwife). It was organised as part Poshan Maah being observed in September every year.
65. India was the focus country of 87th Izmir International Trade Show held in Izmir, third most populous city in Turkey, after Istanbul and Ankara from 7th to 11th September, 2018. Trade Promotion Council of India (TPCI) had led 75-member Indian delegation for this trade show.
66. India, Bangladesh jointly inaugurated three projects related to power supply rehabilitation of existing railway section. These projects were jointly inaugurated Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina through video conference.
67. Aam Aadmi Party-led Delhi Government has launched scheme for doorstep delivery of 40 essential government services like caste and marriage certificates, driving license and new water connections. It is fist home delivery scheme of various essential government services in the country. It will help to deal with corruption in delivery of essential government services and promote transparent governance.
68. Regional Conference on Good Governance with Focus on Aspirational Districts was held in Bhopal, capital of Madhya Pradesh. It was organized by Department of Administrative Reforms and Public Grievances (DAR&PG), Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions in association with Madhya Pradesh Government. Delegates from 12 States/2 UTs had participated in this Conference. There were 5 Technical sessions in this 2-day conference.
69. The World Summit on Accreditation (WOSA-2018) was held New Delhi. It was inaugurated by Union Minister for Human Resource Development (HRD) Prakash Javadekar. WOSA-2018 was organized by National Board of Accreditation (NBA) with main focus (theme) on 'Challenges and Opportunities in Outcome Based Accreditation'.
70. The World Hindu Congress (WHC-2018) was held Chicago, United States. It was organized to commemorate 125 years of Swami Vivekananda’s historic Chicago address on September 11, 1893. The theme of WHC-2018 was 'Sumantrite Suvikrante” — think collectively, achieve valiantly'. It was second edition of World Hindu Congress and was attended by Vice President Venkaiah Naidu.
71. The Odisha State Assembly has passed resolution seeking creation of Legislative Council (Vidhan Parishad or second house of legislature). The resolution was passed with as many as 104 of total 147 legislators casting their votes in its favour. The resolution now will be sent to Central Government (Union cabinet) for approval, following which it will be tabled in both houses of the Parliament. Thereafter, presidential assent is required to make it Act.
72. India and France have signed implementation agreement on Mobilise Your City (MYC) to support three pilot cities – Nagpur, Kochi and Ahmedabad for reduction of greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions related to urban transport. It was signed between Union Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs and Agence Française de Développement (AfD).
73. India and Czech Republic have signed five agreements on defence, scientific and industrial research, laser technology, agriculture and diplomatic visa waiver. These agreements were signed after delegation-level talks between Indian President Ram Nath Kovind and Czech Republic counterpart Milos Zeman in Prague, capital of Czech Republic. President Kovind visited Czech Republic on final leg of his state visit to three European nations – Cyprus, Bulgaria and Czech Republic.
74. The first edition of 2+2 dialogue between India-US held in New Delhi. In the inaugural meeting, Minister of External Affairs (MEA) Sushma Swaraj and Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman hosted US Secretary of State Michael R. Pompeo and US Secretary of Defence James Mattis.
75. Union Ministry of Human Resource Development (HRD has officially decided to participate in Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA) after gap of nine years. It will send team of officers to Paris to negotiate India’s terms of participation in PISA 2021.
76. Union Ministry of Commerce & Industry has launched National Mission on Government eMarketplace (GeM) for increasing awareness and accelerating use of GeM by major central Ministries, State Governments and their agencies. GeM provides online, end to end solution for procurement of commonly used goods and services for all Central Government Departments and State Governments. Public Sector Units and affiliated bodies
77. Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh inaugurated 3-day Defence & Homeland Security Expo and Conference – 2018 in New Delhi. It was jointly organised by PHD Chamber of Commerce and Industry in association with Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME).
78. Union Cabinet decided to indefinitely extended Atal Pension Scheme, which had lapsed in August 2018. It also has broadened its scope by keeping it open-ended. The extension was given by taking into consideration of mass participation.
79. Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi has approved establishment and operationalization of permanent campus of seven new Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs). These IIMs will be established at Amritsar (Punjab), Bodh Gaya (Bihar), Nagpur (Maharashtra), Sambalpur (Odisha), Sirmaur (Himachal Pradesh), Vishakhapatnam (Andhra Pradesh) and Jammu.
80. India and Bulgaria have signed four MoUs in fields of Civil Nuclear cooperation, investment, Tourism and establishment of Hindi chair at Sofia University. Both countries also signed program of Cooperation on science and Technology. These agreements were signed after President Ramnath Kovind and his Bulgarian counterpart Rumen Radev held talks in Sofia, capital of Bulgaria. President Ram Nath Kovind visited Bulgaria on the second leg of his three-nation visit (Cyprus, Bulgaria and Czech Republic) to Europe to continue India’s high-level engagements with the European countries. President Kovind was fifth Indian President to visit Bulgaria and first in 15 years.
81. Union Ministry of Environment, Forests and Climate Change (MoEFCC) will soon convene special meeting of Genetic Engineering Appraisal Committee (GEAC) to decide on field-trial approvals for transgenic mustard DMH-11 developed by University of Delhi’s Centre for Genetic Manipulation of Crop Plants (CGMCP).
82. The National Nutrition Month (Rashtriya Poshan Maah) is being celebrated across the country in September 2018 to mark fight against malnutrition. Union Ministry of Women and Child Development are spearheading various programmes during this month to spread broad awareness on issues related to malnutrition like stunting, under-nutrition, anaemia and low birth weight in children.
83. Union Ministry of Commerce & Industry launched Coffee Connect-India coffee field force app and Coffee KrishiTharanga – digital mobile extension services project for coffee stakeholders. These initiatives were developed by Coffee Board of India for the overall technological advancement of the coffee sector and value chain.
84. Union Territory of Puducherry has bagged top position in National Clean School Award after seven schools from Puducherry were awarded for cleanliness. As many as 52 schools from across the country were bestowed with National Clean School Award in recognition of their efforts in carrying forward Swachh Bharat Abhiyan.
85. The 6th East Asia Summit-Economic Ministers’ Meeting (EAS-EMM) and 15th India-ASEAN Economic Ministers’ Meeting (AEM) was held in Singapore. Singapore is currently holding the Chair of Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN).
86. Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has released draft Charter of Patients’ Rights prepared by National Human Rights Commission (NHRC). Ministry plans to implement the Charter of Patients’ Rights through State governments for provision of proper health care by clinical establishments. This charter is expected to act as guidance document for Union Government and State Governments to formulate concrete mechanisms so that Patients’ Rights are given adequate protection and operational mechanisms are set up to make these rights functional and enforceable by law.
87. India and Cyprus have signed two agreements on combating money laundering and cooperation in the field of environment. These agreements were signed after wide-ranging talks between President Ram Nath Kovind and his Cypriot counterpart Nicos Anastasiades in Nicosia (capital of Cyprus). President Kovind visited Cyprus on the first leg of his three-nation visit to Europe including Bulgaria and Czech Republic to continue India’s high-level engagements with European countries.
88. Union Government has received Rs. 3,000 crore of additional tax from MNCs that have entered into advance pricing agreements (APAs) with it over last five years and also has eliminatedbig source of tax litigation. It was revealed in recently released annual report on advance pricing agreements (APAs) for FY18 by Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT).
89. Fourth International Ayurveda Congress (IAvC) was held in Leiden, Netherlands from September 1 to 2, 2018. It was inaugurated by Minister of State, (IC), for AYUSH Shripad Yesso Naik. The Congress was jointly organized by International Maharishi Ayurveda Foundation, Netherlands; All India Ayurvedic Congress, New Delhi and International Academy of Ayurveda, Pune in association with Indian Embassy in Netherlands.
90. National Institution for Transforming India (NITI) Aayog flagged off cycle rally MOVE Cyclathon to spread message of clean mobility to the Indian public and promote cleaner, accessible modes of transport. The cyclathon was held in run up to MOVE: Global Mobility Summit scheduled to be held on September 7, 8 in New Delhi.
91. State-owned ITI Limited has signed agreements with leading startups and original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) covering manufacturing of wide range of ICT-IOT (Information and communications technology- Internet of Things) based solutions. The agreements were signed on the sidelines of the first edition of ITI’s two-day ‘ICT & IoT Startup Tech Expo’ in Bengaluru, Karnataka.
92. Union Ministry of Women and Child Development recently had inaugurated widows’ home ‘Krishna Kutir’ at Vrindavan in Mathura, Uttar Pradesh. Krishna Kutir is special home for 1000 widows set under Swadhar Greh scheme and is the largest ever facility of its kind created by government organization. It was constructed to mitigate the plight of widows living in pathetic condition in Vrindavan.
93. The 4th BIMSTEC Summit concluded in Kathmandu with signing and adoption of Kathmandu Declaration by all the seven members (India, Nepal, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Sri Lanka, Myanmar and Thailand). After conclusion of summit, current chair of BIMSTEC, Nepal PM KP Sharma Oli also handed over Chairmanship of next (fifth) BIMSTEC Summit to Sri Lankan President Maithripala Sirisena. During this summit, foreign ministers of BIMSTEC member countries had signed Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on establishment of BIMSTEC Grid Interconnection.
94. India and Pakistan have agreed to undertake Indus Waters Treaty 1960 mandated tours by their water commissioners in Indus basin on both sides to resolve issues on various hydroelectric projects in Jammu and Kashmir. This was decided in recently concluded high-level bilateral talks on Indus Waters Treaty in Lahore, Pakistan.
95. India and Nepal have signed MoU to build strategic railway line connecting Raxaul city in Bihar, India to Kathmandu, capital of Nepal. It was signed after Prime Minister Narendra Modi held talks on all aspects of the bilateral ties with his Nepalese counterpart KP Sharma Oli on sidelines of 4th BIMSTEC Summit held in Nepal.
96. Union Home Ministry has announced that Census 2021 for the first time in independent India will collect data on Other Backwards Castes (OBCs). This comes more than 25 years after implementation of 27% reservation for OBCs based on Mandal Commission’s recommendations on basis of last castes data collected in 1931 census.
1. The World Rabies Day is observed every year on 28 September across the world to raise awareness about rabies disease and its preventable measures. The 2018 theme was 'Rabies: Share the message. Save a life'. Observance of the day seeks to raise awareness about the impact of rabies on animals and human beings. It also seeks to share information on how to prevent disease and highlight progress in defeating this horrifying disease.
2. The World Tourism Day (WTD) is being observed every year on 27th September to raise awareness about importance of tourism. Observance of day aims to foster awareness among international community of importance of tourism and its social, cultural, political and economic value.
3. The World Maritime Day (WMD) is observed every year on last Thursday of September to acknowledge the maritime industry and to highlight importance of shipping safety, maritime security and marine environment and to acknowledge maritime industry. This it was observed on September 27 with theme as 'IMO 70: Our Heritage – Better Shipping for a Better Future'.
4. G-4 Nations viz. India, Brazil, Germany and Japan have voiced concern over lack of substantive progress in long-pending United Nations Security Council (UNSC) reform. It was convened during meeting of Ministers from four G4 Countries which was hosted by External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj at Indian Mission to UN to review the reform progress.
5. The International Day for the Total Elimination of Nuclear Weapons is observed every year on 26 September across the world. The day aims to provide an occasion for world community to reaffirm its commitment to global nuclear disarmament as high priority. It also seeks to provide opportunity to educate public and their leaders about real benefits of eliminating such weapons, and the social and economic costs of perpetuating them.
6. Union Ministry of Information and Broadcasting has joined SDG Media Compact aimed at advancing awareness of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). It is among more than 30 organisations from across the world that have come together to form global media compact.
7. International Day of Sign Languages is celebrated annually across the world on 23 September every year along with International Week of the Deaf. This day aims to raise awareness of the importance of sign language in the full realization of the human rights of people who are deaf. This year it was first International Day of Sign Languages. Its theme was 'With Sign Language, Everyone is Included!'.
8. The inaugural General Assembly of International Solar Alliance (ISA) will be inaugurated on 2 October 2018 in New Delhi. It will be followed by ministerial level assembly of ISA following day which will be will be held in Greater Noida.
9. Pakistan has invited Saudi Arabia to join $50 billion China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) as the third strategic partner. Formal request in this regard was made after Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan visited Saudi Arabia during his first foreign trip after getting elected.
10. According to review by Asia Pacific Policy Group on Money Laundering (APPG), Pakistan’s recent action against terror financing, particularly on legal front were found to be “unsatisfactory” despite it was placed on the Financial Action Task Force (FATF) grey list in February 2018 for failing to curb terror funding. APPG examines cases of all countries on the grey and black lists and reports to FATF.
11. Nepal has refused to participate in inaugural joint military exercise of Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC) countries scheduled to be held in Pune, Maharashtra. Nepal’s withdrawal comes in wake of stringent criticism from ruling and opposition parties in the country.
12. According to recent report, Pakistan could become world’s 5th largest nuclear weapons state after Russia, United States, France and China in terms of possession of total nuclear warheads. Pakistan currently has 140 to 150 nuclear warheads and its stockpile is expected to increase to 220 to 250 by 2025 (surpassing United Kingdom) if its current proliferation trend continues.
13. The third ASEM (Asia-Europe Meeting) Conference on ‘Global Ageing and Human Rights of Older Persons’ was held in Seoul, capital of South Korea. It was jointly organised by South Korea and National Human Rights Commission of Korea.
14. According to recent study published in Lancet Global Health journal, at least 34% of India’s population is insufficiently active. The levels of insufficient activity were higher among women at 48%, while prevalence was 22 %among men. The study was undertaken by researchers from World Health Organisation (WHO). It was based on self-reported activity levels, including activity at work and at home, for transport, and during leisure time in adults aged 18 years and older from 358 population-based surveys in 168 countries.
15. International Women Entrepreneurs Summit 2018 was held in Kathmandu, capital of Nepal from September 3 to 5, 2018. The summit was inaugurated by Vice President of Nepal Nanda Bahadur Pun. The theme of 3-day summit was 'Equality begins with Economic Empowerment'. It was organised by the South Asian Women Development Forum
16. India along with 23 other nations will be participating in major Indian ocean-wide tsunami mock exercise known as 'IOWave18. The exercise is being organized by Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission (IOC) of UNESCO. It will involve evacuation of thousands of people from coastal areas in over half a dozen states.
17. China has pledged $60 billion of financial assistance to Africa bolster industry, counter hunger, and enhance security in the continent. It was announced by Chinese President Xi Jinping in his inaugural address at third Forum on China-Africa Cooperation (FOCAC) held in Beijing.
18. China-Maldives Friendship Bridge was recently opened for traffic. It is first cross-sea bridge to be built in Maldives. It was China’s flagship infrastructure project in Maldives. It is considered as iconic project of China and Maldives cooperation towards building 21st Century Maritime Silk Road.
Business, Economy & Banking
1. Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi has approved National Digital Communications Policy-2018 (NDCP 2018). It also has re-designated Telecom Commission as Digital Communications Commission. It replaces existing National Telecom Policy-2012 to cater to the modern needs of the digital communications sector of India.
2. Indian Navy has signed contract with Hindustan Shipyard Limited (HSL) located in Visakhapatnam for construction of two Diving Support Vessels (DSV). These vessels will help to augment Indian Navy’s submarine support operations on either coast.
3. Union Minister of Finance and Corporate Affairs Arun Jaitley launched Financial Inclusion Index in New Delhi. It was launched after his Annual Performance Review Meeting with CEOs of Public Sector Banks (PSBs).
4. Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley launched portal www.psbloansin59minutes.com to enable micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs) to get in-principle approval of loans within hour without need for branch visit.
5. Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has shortlisted five IT firms for implementation of Centralised Information and Management System (CIMS) for seamless data collection and validations. These five IT firms are Infosys, Tata Consultancy Services (TCS), Capgemini Technology Services India, IBM India and Larsen & Toubro Infotech. These five firms were selected based on expression of interest (EOI) notified by RBI in July 2018 for identification of solution provider for implementation of CIMS by overhauling its Data Warehouse (DW).
6. National Stock Exchange of India (NSE) and London Stock Exchange (LSE) have signed Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to collaborate on creating dual listing route for masala bonds and foreign currency bonds of Indian issuers. Through approval of single listing document, issuer can obtain dual listing on LSE’s International Securities Market and NSE’s GIFT City. It will serve as potential precursor of further joint listings in future that could see foreign currency bonds in India also being able to list in London.
7. World Bank board has approved ambitious five-year Country Partnership Framework (CPF) for India that is in line with Government of India’s objectives of high, sustainable and inclusive growth. The framework is aimed at supporting India’s transition to higher middle-income country by addressing some of its key development priorities resource efficient and inclusive growth, job creation and building human capital. The CPF was preceded by systematic country diagnostic (SCD) that offered narrative about India’s progress.
8. Fitch Ratings in its Global Economic Outlook has revised up India’s growth forecast for current fiscal year (2018-19) to 7.8% from 7.4% projected earlier. However it has flagged tightening of financial conditions, weak bank balance sheets and rising oil bill as headwinds to growth.
9. State-owned India Post Payments Bank (IPPB) and private life insurer Bajaj Allianz Life Insurance Co Ltd (BALIC) have entered into strategic partnership to provide life insurance solutions. It will allow IPPB customers across segments to access wide array of life insurance products and services especially at doorstep.
10. State-owned India Post Payments Bank (IPPB) and private life insurer Bajaj Allianz Life Insurance Co Ltd (BALIC) have entered into strategic partnership to provide life insurance solutions. It will allow IPPB customers across segments to access wide array of life insurance products and services especially at doorstep. BALIC is the first life insurer to partner with IPPB. This partnership will allow BALIC to leverage IPPB’s last mile reach for building awareness about life insurance.
11. The capital markets regulator Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) has allowed India’s top two stock exchanges BSE Ltd and National Stock Exchange of India Ltd (NSE) to launch commodity derivatives trading from 1 October, 2018. This approval is part of SEBI’s December 2017 announcement of having unified exchange regime wherein stock exchanges will be allowed to offer trading in commodities derivatives. By unified exchange regime stock exchanges need not to set up different entities to offer commodity trading.
12. Union Finance Ministry announced proposal for amalgamation of three public sector banks- Bank of Baroda, Dena Bank and Vijaya Bank. The combined entity after consolidation will create India’s third largest bank. Post this merger, number of PSU banks will come down to 19 from 21, accounting for more than two-thirds of banking assets in the country.
13. According to data released by Central Statistics Office (CSO), factory output measured in terms of the Index of Industrial Production grew at 6.6% in July 2018. This growth was on the back of good performance by manufacturing sector and higher offtake of capital goods and consumer durables. Besides, IIP growth for June 2018 was also revised downwards to 6.8% from the provisional estimate of 7% released in August 2018. The IIP growth in April-July 2018 period was 5.4% compared to 1.7% year ago.
14. Union Ministry of Corporate Affairs (MCA) has mandatory for unlisted public companies to issue new shares or transfer of all shares in dematerialised or demat (i.e. in electronic form) form beginning October 2, 2018. With this, major benefits of dematerialisation of securities will now be available to unlisted Public companies.
15. Union Finance Ministry has doubled pecuniary limit to Rs. 20 lakh from Rs.10 lakh for filing loan recovery application in Debt Recovery Tribunals (DRT) by banks and financial institutions. It means that bank or financial institution or consortium of banks or financial institutions cannot approach DRTs if pecuniary limit amount due is less than Rs 20 lakh. This move is aimed at helping reduce pendency of cases in DRTs.
16. State-owned Oil and Natural Gas Corp (ONGC) has made oil and gas discoveries in Madhya Pradesh and West Bengal that may potentially open up two new sedimentary basins in country. They are category-III basins, having hydrocarbon and are considered geologically prospective for exploration.
17. Singapore-based global investment firm Temasek has signed agreement to invest up to Rs 2,750 crore ($400 million) in National Investment and Infrastructure Fund’s (NIIF) Master Fund. With this investment, NIIF Master Fund is now one of largest infrastructure funds in India which invests in core infrastructure sectors in India with focus on energy, transportation and urban infrastructure.
18. Asia Index Pvt Ltd has launched S&P BSE Private Banks Index to measure the performance of private banks. Asia Index Pvt Ltd is a joint venture between S&P Dow Jones Indices and BSE Ltd
19. Union Health Ministry has released draft rules on sale of drugs by e-pharmacies to regulate online sale of medicines across India. These rules also have been proposed to ensure accessibility and availability of genuine drugs to the people across India from authentic online portals.
20. According to Reserve Bank of India (RBI) data, Mauritius was top source of foreign direct investment (FDI) into India in 2017-18 followed by Singapore. The total FDI in FY 18 stood at $37.36 billion in financial year which was marginal rise over $36.31 billion recorded in the previous fiscal 2016-17.
21. The merger of Idea Cellular and Vodafone India has been completed after it was cleared by National Company Law Tribunal (NCLT). This merger has created India’s biggest telecom service provider. The merged entity is named Vodafone Idea Ltd and dislodges current market leader Bharti Airtel from top position, by its sheer size and scale. New board has been constituted for merged entity with 12 directors (including six independent directors) and Kumar Mangalam Birla as its Chairman.
22. According to Index of Eight Core Industries released by Ministry of Commerce and Industry, eight core sectors have grown by 6.6% in July 2018 pushed by healthy output in coal, refinery products, cement and fertilizer sectors. It had registered growth of 2.9% in July 2017.
23. Punjab National Bank (PNB’s) managing director and chief executive, Sunil Mehta was elected as new chairman of Indian Banks Association (IBA) for year 2018-19. Bank of India’s managing director and chief executive Dina Bandhu Mohapatra was elected as the deputy chairman. Madhav Nair, country head and chief executive, Mashreqbank PSC, was elected as Honorary Secretary of IBA for 2018-19, State Bank of India’s chairman, Rajnish Kumar, and Federal Bank’s managing director, Shyam Srinivasan, will continue as deputy chairmen of IBA.
1. Union Government has approved Rs 8,606 crore for 60 projects being implemented under umbrella scheme of Border Infrastructure and Management (BIM). The projects are being implemented in 111 border districts in 17 states having the international borders with Pakistan, China, Nepal, Bhutan, Myanmar and Bangladesh. It will help to meet special development needs of people living in those areas within 50 kms of the international border. India shares borders with Pakistan (3,323 km), China (3,488 km), Nepal (1,751 km), Bhutan (699 km), Myanmar (1,643 km) and Bangladesh (4,096 km).
2. Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched ambitious Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (PMJAY), under Ayushman Bharat umbrella at Ranchi, Jharkhand. The scheme aims to provide annual health insurance cover of Rs 5 lakh to 10.74 crore beneficiary families i.e. over 50 crore beneficiaries across India. It is touted as world’s largest healthcare scheme that will serve beneficiary population that equals 27-28 European countries and almost equal to population of Canada, Mexico and US put together. The scheme will become operational from September 25, 2018 i.e. on birth anniversary of Deendayal Upadhyay.
3. Tamil Nadu government has announced Scheme for protection of exotic Neela kurinji (Strobilanthus kunthianus) plants that flower only once in 12 years. This scheme comes following complaints that these rare and ecologically unique flowers are being packaged and sold on the commercial basis.
4. Union Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) has launched Cyber Crime Prevention against Women and Children (CCPWC) portal (www.cybercrime.gov.in) to check objectionable online content. The portal will allow citizens to lodge complaints on objectionable online content related to child pornography, child sexual abuse material and sexually explicit material such as rape and gang rape.
5. Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) has approved Revised Cost Estimate of Dam Rehabilitation and Improvement Project (DRIP). It has been increased to Rs. 3,466 crore from earlier Rs. 1968 crore. CCEA also gave approval for two-year time extension for project from July 2018 to June 2020.
6. The Employee’s State Insurance (ESI) has rolled out Atal Bimit Vyakti Kalyan Yojna for providing unemployment allowance to workers rendered jobless due to changing employment pattern. It was announced at 175th ESI Corporation meeting chaired by Union Labour Minister Santosh Gangwar in New Delhi.
7. Union Cabinet recently approved new umbrella scheme “Pradhan Mantri Annadata Aay SanraksHan Abhiyan” (PM-AASHA) to give major boost to pro-farmer initiatives of Government. The Scheme is aimed at ensuring remunerative prices to e farmers for their produce as announced in Union Budget for 2018.
8. Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi has approved continuation of Capacity Development Scheme for period 2017-18 to 2019-20. It is ongoing Central Sector Scheme of Ministry of Statistics and Program Implementation (MoSPI).
9. Union Ministry of Tourism has inaugurated India’s first tribal circuit project connecting 13 tourism sites in Chhattisgarh under Swadesh Darshan Scheme. The circuit connects Jashpur, Kunkuri, Mainpat, Kamleshpur, Maheshpur, Kurdar, Sarodadadar, Gangrel, Kondagaon, Nathiya Nawagaon, Jagdalpur, Chitrakoot, and Tirthgarh in Chhattisgarh.
10. Union Ministry of Tourism has inaugurated India’s first tribal circuit project connecting 13 tourism sites in Chhattisgarh under Swadesh Darshan Scheme. The circuit connects Jashpur, Kunkuri, Mainpat, Kamleshpur, Maheshpur, Kurdar, Sarodadadar, Gangrel, Kondagaon, Nathiya Nawagaon, Jagdalpur, Chitrakoot, and Tirthgarh in Chhattisgarh.
11. Union Ministry of Agriculture & Farmers Welfare has launched Dairy Processing & Infrastructure Development Fund (DIDF) Scheme with an outlay of Rs. 10881 crore. Under this fund, first installment of Rs. 440 crore was given to National Dairy Development Board (NDDB).
12. Union Ministry for Minority Affairs has launched the country’s first National Scholarship Portal Mobile App (NSP Mobile App). It aims to provide smooth, accessible and hassle-free scholarship system for students from poor and weaker sections.
13. Prime Minister Narendra Modi has announced landmark increase in remuneration for ASHA and Anganwadi workers. The announcement will be effective from October 2018. It was made during video bridge interaction with lakhs of ASHA, Anganwadi and ANM (Auxiliary Nurse Midwife). It was organised as part Poshan Maah being observed in September every year.
14. Aam Aadmi Party-led Delhi Government has launched scheme for doorstep delivery of 40 essential government services like caste and marriage certificates, driving license and new water connections. It is fist home delivery scheme of various essential government services in the country. It will help to deal with corruption in delivery of essential government services and promote transparent governance.
15. Union Ministry of Commerce & Industry has launched National Mission on Government eMarketplace (GeM) for increasing awareness and accelerating use of GeM by major central Ministries, State Governments and their agencies. GeM provides online, end to end solution for procurement of commonly used goods and services for all Central Government Departments and State Governments. Public Sector Units and affiliated bodies
16. Union Cabinet decided to indefinitely extended Atal Pension Scheme, which had lapsed in August 2018. It also has broadened its scope by keeping it open-ended. The extension was given by taking into consideration of mass participation.
17. Ministry of Tourism sanctioned Malanad Malabar Cruise Tourism Project under Swadesh Darshan Scheme for development of rural circuit in Kerala. Under this project, Ministry of Tourism will be developing three cruises with budget of Rs. 80.37 crores.
Awards & Honors
1. Social networking giant Facebook has selected three Indian women among five global leaders for $1 million award as part of its Community Leadership Programme. They are Adhunika Prakash, Chetana Misra and Tamanna Dhamija.
2. Assamese movie ‘Village Rockstars’ was selected as India’s official entry to the Oscars 2019 (91st Academy Awards) under Foreign Language Film category. It was selected by 12-member jury of Film Federation of India (FII), led by Kannada producer-director SV Rajendra Singh Babu from 29 other films.
3. Kerala Tourism has won two prestigious gold awards of Pacific Asia Travel Association (PATA) for its innovative marketing campaigns. These awards were won by Kerala Tourism’s Yalla Kerala print campaign and Live Inspired Posters under PATA’s Travel Advertisement Print and Travel Poster categories respectively. Both campaign and posters were developed and designed by Stark Communications which is advertising agency of Kerala Tourism.
4. Hyderabad International Airport (Rajiv Gandhi International Airport) was awarded Airports Council International Airport Service Quality World no.1 airport awardin the 5-15 Million Passengers Per Annum (MPPA) category. This is for the second consecutive year Hyderabad airport has won this award. It was adjudged World no 1 Airport in this category earlier in 2016. The award was bestowed in recognition of airport’s relentless efforts towards service excellence and customer delight.
5. Mumbai-based eminent neurosurgeon Dr B.K. Misra was named for prestigious Dr B.C. Roy National Award for year 2018 as Eminent Medical Person of the Year. It is highest medical honour of India and will be bestowed upon him by President Ram Nath Kovind in July 1 , 2019 on the occasion of National Doctors Day.
6. Union Ministry of Steel recently for the first time gave away Secondary Steel sector awards to 26 mini steel companies in recognition of their contribution to the national economy. 12 companies were awarded Gold Certificates and 14 Silver Certificates for their performance during 2016-17. These awards were given in order to enhance global competitiveness of companies involved in secondary steel sector. It will also encourage secondary steel sector to strive for improving performance as well as quality of production.
1. The Union Government bestows National Sports Awards every year to recognize and reward excellence in sports in India. These awards include Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award, Dronacharya Award, Arjuna Award, Dhyan Chand Award, Maulana Abul Kalam Azad (MAKA) Trophy and Rashtriya Khel Protsahan Puruskar. The awardees will receive their awards from President Ram Nath Kovind at special function organized at Rashtrapati Bhawan on 25th September, 2018.
2. Former world number one Novak Djokovic from Serbia won 2018 US Open title of tennis in men’s singles category by defeating Argentina’s Juan Martín del Potro (world no 3). It was Djokovic’s third US Open title and overall 14th Grand Slam title. With this win, he equalled Pete Sampras’ haul of 14 Grand Slams. Further, he became seventh man to win US Open singles title at least thrice in the Open Era.
3. India’s ace sprinter Hima Das was appointed as Sports Ambassador of Assam to inspire budding players of northeastern state to aim big and young generation to take up sports seriously.
4. India Blue has won 2017-18 Duleep Trophy by defeating defending champion India Red by an innings and 187 runs in the final match played at NPR College ground in Dindigul, Tamilnadu. India Blue’s spinners Deepak Jagbir Hooda (5 for 56) and Saurabh Kumar (5 for 51) were just needed10.5 overs on fourth day of final match to bundle out India Red for 172 in second innings. Himachal Pradesh batsman Nikhil Gangta was named man of match for his superb knock of 130.
5. Olympic Council of Asia (OCA) has chosen Japanese woman swimmer Rikako Ikee (18) as winner of Most Valuable Player (MVP) Trophy Award in 2018 Jakarta and Palembang Asian Games. With this, she became first female winner of MVP award, which OCA introduced at 1998 Asian Games in Bangkok, Thailand. She was presented with trophy and $50,000 cheque.
6. 18th Asian Games concluded in Indonesia. This edition of pan-continental mega sporting was held from August 18 to September 2, 2018 in two cities – Jakarta (capital of Indonesia) and Palembang (capital of Indonesia’s province of South Sumatra). This was second time Asian Games history, Indonesia had hosted it after first time in 1962 in Jakarta. Indian women hockey captain Rani Rampal was India’s flag-bearer at closing ceremony.