Current Affair of September 2021
1. Ladakh adopted two endangered species, snow leopard and black-necked crane, as its State animal and State bird respectively on 1 September, 2021. Ladakh adopted these species two years after it was separate Union created as a separate Union Territory (UT) from the erstwhile State of Jammu & Kashmir (J & K).
2. The Supreme Court of India recently directed demolition of two 40-storey towers, comprising of 850 flats, of Supertech Ltd Group in Noida. Supreme Court issued this direction after it found that Supertech has flouted regulations regarding the distance to be maintained between buildings and of fire safety.
3. India has become the first Asian Country to launch a Plastics pact on 3 September, 2021. This new platform was developed by World-Wide Fund for Nature-India (WWF India) in collaboration with the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII). It will help to promote a circular system for plastics.
4. The historic tripartite Karbi Anglong Accord was signed on 4 September, 2021 between the government of India, government of Assam and six factions of the Karbi. As per the accord, the armed groups shall shun their path of violence, surrender their weapons and disband their organisations within one month of the date of signing of the Karbi Anglong Peace Accord.
5. The Centre is set to sign a tripartite "Karbi Peace Accord" on 4 September, 2021. This accord is significant because insurgency by Karbi group has a long history in Assam which is marked by killings, ethnic violence, abductions and taxations since 1980s.
6. The Varanasi-Chunar Cruise service started on 5 September, 2021 and added a new dimension to the tourism facilities in Varanasi. This cruise service in Ganga River will run from Varanasi to historic Chunar fort in Mirzapur. Tourists travelling to Varanasi can now travel around 30 km long journey in River Ganga.
7. Supreme Court has recently ruled that, an employee cannot insist on transfer to a particular place and only employer can shift the staff after considering requirement. Supreme court observed this while dismissing a petition by a lecturer who challenged the October 2017 order of the Allahabad High Court.
8. Union environment minister, Bhupendra Yadav, launched a portal called PRANA on 7 September, 2021. PRANA Portal will be used to track the progress of the National Clean Air Programme (NCAP) in order to comply with India's commitment to ensure clean air and blue skies to everybody.
9. Deputy Chief Minister of Delhi, Manish Sisodia, launched the 'Business Blasters' programme on 7 September, 2021. This programme was launched with the aim of developing young entrepreneurs at school-level by providing students some seed money in order to start a business.
10. Union Minister for Environment, Forest & Climate Change, Bhupender Yadav, virtually inaugurated the first functional smog tower of India on 7 September, 2021. Smog tower was launched at Anand Vihar in Delhi. Now, ministry would keep a close eye on the results to determine if India need more of such projects in the future.
11. According to Ministry of Home Affairs, Central Government inked a ceasefire agreement with the National Socialist Council of Nagaland (NSCN) Khaplang (K), led by Nikki Sumi. This peace pact was signed on 8 September, 2021 and will be in force for one year.
12. Union Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan released the National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF), listing the top universities and colleges across India, on 9 September, 2021. NIRF India Ranking 2021 has been announced for eleven categories, namely, Overall, University, Management, Pharmacy, College, Architecture, Engineering, Medical, ARIIA (Atal Ranking of Institutions on Innovation Achievements), Law and Research Institutions.
13. On 9 September, 2021 the Allahabad High Court put hold on the order of Varanasi court that had asked for a 'comprehensive archaeological physical survey' of the disputed Gyanvapi mosque-kashi Vishwanath temple complex.
14. According to supreme court bench comprising of Justices Hemant Gupta and A S Bopanna, Deity is the owner of land attached to a temple. According to the bench, a priest cannot be treated as Bhumiswami (owner of land). The priest holds the land just for the management of property of the temple.
15. The Supreme Court has ruled that, Indian Railways must pay compensation to passengers if trains run late. Supreme Court slammed Indian Railways for delayed running of trains and ordered to pay a compensation of Rs. 30,000 to a man who missed his flight because of the delay.
16. On 9 September, 2021, National Mission for Clean Ganga organised Himalaya Diwas in collaboration with Naula Foundation, as a part of 'Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav'. Himalayan Day 2021 was observed under the theme- 'Contribution of Himalayas and our responsibilities'.
17. Charities Aid Foundation (CAF) World Giving Index 2021 was published recently, in which India found the place among top-20 generous countries. India has been ranked at the 14th spot. Its rank has improved up from the 10 year global rank of 82. CAF report notes that, India is one of the fastest climbers on the Index.
18. The Central Government has amended a 50 year old rule and allowed IAS, IPS and IFoS officers to retain gifts they receive from foreign dignitaries while being members of the Indian delegation. As per existing rules, these officers were allowed to accept gifts from their near relatives or from personal friends having no official dealings with them, on the occasions like weddings, funerals, anniversaries, and religious functions.
19. Indian Council of medical research (ICMR) recently released its report titled "Clinicopathological Profile of Cancers in India: A Report of Hospital Based Cancer Registries, 2021". The report provides data on cancer cases in India. It was prepared by ICMR- National Centre for Disease Informatics and Research, Bengaluru.
20. Greater Noida Authority has planned to introduce innovative ways for door-to-door waste collection efficiently. Innovative methods comprise of high-tech features such as pasting QR codes outside houses, installation of GPC & CCTV on vehicles carrying garbage.
21. The Tamil Nadu Assembly passed a Bill on 13 September, 2021 that made the encroachment of properties of religious institutions a cognisable and non-bailable offence. The Bill that seeks to amend the Tamil Nadu Hindu Religious and Charitable Endowments Act, 1959.
22. Union Minister for Commerce, Industry and Textiles Piyush Goyal announced to set up a "Weaver Services and Design Resource Center" in Kullu district of Himachal Pradesh. This centre will help in encouraging the attractive handicraft products of the state and provide a better platform to export these products at the international market.
23. According to Union Minister for Ports, Shipping and Waterways, Sarbananda Sonwal, government has aimed to increase India's share of renewable energy to 60% in Major ports through solar and wind power. Presently, renewable energy accounts for less than 10% of power demand at the ports.
24. The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) issued notice to four states on 14 September, 2021, over complaints by industrial units and transportation affected by farmers' protect at Delhi border. Notice was issued to Delhi, Uttar Pradesh, Haryana and Rajasthan governments.
25. Vice President & Rajya Sabha Chairman M. Venkaiah Naidu, Prime Minister Narendra Modi as well as Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla will launch Sansad TV jointly on 15 September, 2021. The launch date of Sansad Tv, September 15, coincides with the International Day of Democracy.
26. National Crime Record Bureau (NCRB) released its report titled "Crime in India". According to the report, the year of lockdown (2020) witnessed lesser traditional crimes like against women children but more of civil conflicts.
27. Union minister of state for electronics & information technology, Rajeev Chandrasekhar, inaugurated three National Institute of Electronics & Information Technology (NIELIT) centres of northeast states on 16 September, 2021. One of the NIELIT centres was inaugurated in Churachandpur district of Manipur, physically. While, two other centres were inaugurated in Kokrajhar and Tezpur districts of Assam.
28. MyGov India has launched the "Planetarium Innovation Challenge" for Indian start-ups and tech entrepreneurs. This Planetarium challenge was launched with the aim of bringing together the tech firms and Start-ups, that are based out of India, with the potential to build an indigenous planetariums system software.
29. India has been asserting and reaffirming its take on the transfer and financing of the green technologies by developed countries to developing nations, ahead of the Conference of Parties (COP 26).
30. Punjab Energy Development Agency (PEDA) signed an Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Convergence Energy Services Limited (CESL) for installing public charging station for electric vehicles in Punjab. CESL is a subsidiary of Energy Efficiency Services Ltd. (EESL). MoU was signed by chief executive officer of PEDA, Navjot Pal Singh Randhawa.
31. Leh is all set to host the first edition of the Himalayan Film Festival, which is starting from 24 September, 2021. The film festival will be inaugurated by Information and Broadcasting Minister, Anurag Thakur, on September 24. Himalayan Film festival will run for five days from September 24 to 28.
32. The Uttarakhand Forest Department inaugurated the first Palmetum of the state on 26 September, 2021. It has been developed in Haldwani area of Nainital district. This Palmetum is the biggest one in North India, comprising of 110 species of palms. It has been established in an area of three acres.
33. Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare, Mansukh Mandaviya and Minister of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying, Parshottam Rupala released the "National Action Plan for Dog Mediated Rabies Elimination by 2030 (NAPRE)" on the occasion of "World Rabies Day" on September 28, 2021
34. Housing and Urban Affairs Minister Hardeep Singh Puri launched the seventh consecutive edition of Swachh Survekshan on 28 September, 2021 in New Delhi. Swachh Survekshan is the largest urban cleanliness survey of the world, which is conducted by Swachh Bharat Mission-Urban.
35. Home Minister Amit Shah released the training manual of Aapda Mitra Scheme on 29 September, 2021, on the occasion of 17th foundation day celebrations of "National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA)".
1. According to Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) report, the number of hate crimes in United States increased to highest level in the year 2020. Crimes reached to highest level in more than a decade and is the result of rise in assaults targeting Black victims and victims of Asian descent.
2. Indian Army contingent is set to participate in a two-week multination military exercise called 'ZAPAD 2021'. This exercise will begin from September 3, at Nizhny in Russia. Exercise will be held with the aim of boosting anti-terror cooperation. ZAPAD 2021 is a 13-day exercise.
3. World Social Protection Report 2020-22 was released by International Labour Organisation (ILO) on 1 September, 2021. As per report, more than half of the world population are not getting any form of social protection. This trend of no social protection is there even after expansion of social protections amidst the global outbreak of COVID-19.
4. Singapore has introduced a "Vaccinated Travel Lanes", for the fully vaccinated travellers. Reopening of international travel in the backdrop of Covid-19 is not going to be a straightforward affair. Countries have been experimenting several concepts in order to allow the movement of passengers between nations such as air bubbles, travel corridors, vaccine passports, and traffic light system. Vaccinated Travel Lane is the new addition to the list.
5. According to a report titled "Protected Areas in Central Africa 2020", Central Africa can develop itself sustainably if the resources are shared equitably and its environment is protected. Report was produced under the Central Africa Forest Observatory (OFAC) which is a specialised unit of Central African Forests Commission (COMIFAC).
6. China developed a prototype miniature helicopter for the purpose of surveillance work on future Mars missions. According to Chinese space science agency, this miniature helicopter was developed after the historic landing of robotic rover on the Mars.
7. New Development Bank (NDB) by BRICS group of nations has added United Arab Emirates, Uruguay and Bangladesh as the new members on 2 September, 2021. This first batch of new members were added to the bank as part of its expansion drive.
8. Newest Mars rover of the American Space Agency, NASA has successfully collected the first rock sample for return to the Earth. Rock sample was termed as the perfect core sample by the Perseverance rover's chief engineer, Adam Steltzner. In earlier attempt, Perseverance drilled into much softer rock to crumble the sample, but it didn't get inside the titanium tube. Then the rover drove a half-mile for a better sampling spot to drill again.
9. Foreign Secretary of United Kingdom, Dominic Raab, has announced new sanctions against Myanmar on 2 September, 2021. New sanctions were imposed on Myanmar to affect the businesses that provide financial support to the military junta. According to UK government, new sanctions are aimed at Myanmar businessman U Tay Za and his Htoo Group.
10. Prime Minister, Narendra Modi, addressed the session of Eastern Economic Forum (EEF) on 3 September, 2021. During the session, Prime Minister noted that, India-Russia energy partnership can bring stability in the global energy market. At the same time, International North-South Transport Corridor will bring both the countries closer.
11. Prime minister of Japan, Yoshihide Suga, will not run for re-election as the party leader in September. Yoshihide Suga had been appointed as Prime Minister in 2020 after the resignation of Shinzo Abe. Suga announced to end his tenure as his approval ratings dropped to an all-time low.
12. External affairs minister (EAM), S. Jaishankar, co-chaired the 4th round of 'Indo-Danish Joint Commission Meeting (JCM)' with this Danish counterpart Jeppe Kofod in Copenhagen on 5 September, 2021. During the meeting, EAM noted that, Denmark is India's very unique partner for its efforts to grow back greener, rather than build back better.
13. According to US-based global leader approval tracker morning consult, approval rating of Prime Minister Narendra Modi was the highest among thirteen world leaders who were surveyed. This survey data is updated on a weekly basis. Prime Minister Modi obtained the approval rating of 70 per cent.
14. The Taliban and opposition forces battled badly to control the Panjshir Valley in Afghanistan on 4 September, 2021. Panjshir Valley is located to the north of Kabul. Both the sides claimed to have the control in Panjshir but neither could produce conclusive evidence to prove it.
15.Government of Sri Lanka declared an economic emergency, because of rising food prices, depreciating currency, and depleting forex reserves. President of Sri Lanka, Gotabaya Rajapaksa, called in the army to manage this crisis by rationing the supply of essential goods.
16. Supreme Court of Mexico has decriminalised abortion and has ruled that criminal penalties on terminating pregnancies are unconstitutional, in the state of Coahuila. This ruling was meant for northern state of Coahuila. It now prevents women from being prosecuted for abortion. Currently, abortion is severely restricted in four of the states in Mexico. It is also legal in cases of rape or where mother's life is in danger.
17. Union Cabinet, chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, approved the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Russian on cooperation in the field of Geosciences. MoU was signed between the Joint Stock Company Rosgeologia (State holding Company) of Russia and the Geological Survey of India (GSI), Ministry of Mines.
18. Indian government and the Asian Development Bank (ADB) signed a 300-million-dollar loan on 8 September, 2021 to expand rural connectivity in Maharashtra. Loan agreement was signed as additional financing in order to scale up improvement of rural connectivity.
19. State of Tamil Nadu and Denmark have planned to create an energy island in Gulf of Mannar that lies between the west coast of Sri Lanka and south-eastern tip of India. This plan was made as Tamil Nadu is looking to expand its footprint in the green energy sector.
20. Government of India and Asian Development Bank (ADB) signed a $112 million loan in order to develop water supply infrastructure in the state of Jharkhand. The loan will also strengthen capacities of urban local bodies (ULBs) in order to improve service delivery in four towns of Jharkhand.
21. Commerce and Industry Minister, Piyush Goyal, has been appointed as India's Sherpa for G20. G20 is an influential grouping which brings together the major economies of world.
22. Union Minister for Power and New & Renewable Energy, R. K. Singh met Minister for Climate, Energy & Utilities of Denmark, Dan Jorgensen in New Delhi on 9 September, 2021. During the meeting, it was highlighted that energy transition towards green is an important part of India's policy.
23. Prime Minister, Narendra Modi, chaired the 13th BRICS Summit virtually on 9 September, 2021. India has chosen the theme of the Summit as "[email protected]: Intra-BRICS Cooperation for Continuity, Consolidation and Consensus". The Summit was participated by all other BRICS Leaders namely, President of Brazil Jair Bolsonaro, President of Russia Vladimir Putin President of China Xi Jinping and President of South Africa Cyril Ramaphosa.
24. Union Defence Minister Rajnath Singh held bilateral meeting with his Australian counterpart Peter Dutton in New Delhi on 10 September, 2021. Peter Dutton is on his first official visit to India along with a high-level delegation for a 2+2 ministerial dialogue.
25. India and Japan held their sixth Maritime Affairs Dialogue on 10 September, 2021 in a virtual format. The dialogue involved exchanges on developments in the areas of regional cooperation activities, maritime security environment as well as the opportunities for cooperation between both the countries in the Indo-Pacific region.
26. Minister of Petroleum & Natural Gas, Hardeep Singh Puri and U.S. Secretary of Energy Ms. Jennifer Granholm, co-chaired a virtual Ministerial meeting and launched the revamped U.S.-India Strategic Clean Energy Partnership (SCEP). In the meeting, both the sides reviewed progress & major accomplishments and prioritized new areas for cooperation across several pillars.
27. 11 September, 2021 marked the 20th anniversary of the attack on World Trade center towers in New York, which is also known as "9/11 attack". This incident had sent shockwaves across the world 20 years ago. It showed the ugly head of terror aided and abetted by Al Qaeda, in the name of radical Islam.
28. World's largest plant that has been designed to suck carbon dioxide (CO2) from air and turn it into rock was started recently in Iceland. This plant has been named as Orca, after the Icelandic word "orka", meaning energy. The plant comprises of four units. Each of the units are made up of two metal boxes. They are similar to the containers used for maritime transport, in appearance.
29. Japan and Vietnam have recently signed a new deal, which enables the export of Japanese-made defence equipment and technology to Vietnam. Both the countries have inked the deal to boost the defence cooperation in the backdrop of China's growing military influence.
30. British government has announced to introduce legislation in 2021, under which all the newly built homes and offices will require to feature electric vehicle chargers in England. Under the legislation, all new homes and offices will be required to feature smart charging devices which can automatically charge vehicles during off-peak periods.
31. India has proposed to institutionalise "India Africa Defence Dialogue" during the successive DefExpos, to be held once in two years duration. Institutionalisation of the India Africa Defence Dialogue will help in building on existing partnerships between African countries and India.
32. United Nations is hosting a high-level donors conference on 13 September, 2021 seeking emergency funds for Afghanistan following the Taliban takeover of the country. N. Secretary General, Antonio Guterres, was leading the United Nations meeting and called for more than $600 million in a "flash appeal" for Afghans.
33. Environment Minister of India, Bhupender Yadav and United States Special Presidential Envoy for Climate, John Kerry launched India-US Climate Action and Finance Mobilisation Dialogue on 13 September, 2021. This dialogue was launched under India-US Climate and Clean Energy Agenda 2030 Partnership.
34. On 12 September, 2021, Iran agreed to allow nuclear surveillance by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA). Iran has allowed the international inspectors to install new memory cards into surveillance cameras across its sensitive nuclear sites and to continue filming there. This announcement was made by Mohammad Eslami of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran.
35. According to Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), Prime Minister Narendra Modi will participate in Quad leaders' summit in Washington on 24 September. PM Modi is also scheduled to address the General Debate of high-level segment of 76th session of the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) in New York on 25 September.
36. India and Singapore have announced the linking of the Unified Payments Interface (UPI) and PayNow, in order to enable users to make instant, low-cost fund transfers. The project to link the fast payment systems of both the countries was announced by Reserve Bank of India (RBI) and Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS).
37. Commerce and Industry Minister of India, Piyush Goyal hold a virtual meeting with his UK counterpart, Liz Truss, on 13 September, 2021. During the meeting, both the ministers agreed on the next steps to launch negotiations for UK-India trade agreement.
38. Union Minister for Road Transport and Highways, Nitin Gadkari, addressed the 17th Indo-US Economic Summit 'Bouncing Back-Resilient Recovery Path Post Covid-19' on 14 September, 2021. During the address, minister noted that the bilateral trade between India and the US has increased from $16 billion to $ 149 billion in the last two decades and it is projected to reach $500 billion by 2025.
39. The international community has announced about $1.2 billion in aid for Afghanistan humanitarian crisis. On the occasion, U.N. Secretary General Antonio Guterres underlined the importance of engaging with the Taliban in order to ensure continued humanitarian assistance in India.
40. India has assured ASEAN partners for its support in the recovery efforts in the post pandemic period. This assurance was given during the 18th ASEAN-India Economic Ministers Consultations meeting. It was attended by the Economic Ministers of all the ten ASEAN countries namely, Brunei, Indonesia, Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia, Myanmar, Singapore, Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam.
41. 7th Foreign Office Consultations between India and Chile were held on 14 September, 2021 in Santiago. India was represented by Secretary (East) in Ministry of External Affairs Riva Ganguly Das. Chile was represented by Vice-Minister of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Ms. Carolina Valdivia Torres.
42. Heads of Tax Authorities of the BRICS countries, namely Brazil, Russia India, China and South Africa held their virtual meeting on Tax matters from 13 September to 14 September, 2021. Meeting was held under the Chairship of India. Meeting was presided by Tarun Bajaj, Secretary of Revenue, as Head of Tax Authorities in India,
43. The Indian military contingent consisting of an all arms combined force of 200 personnel, including 38 personnel from the Indian Air Force, is taking part in the Exercise PEACEFUL MISSION - 2021. This exercise is being held in the Orenburg Region of South West Russia from 13 to 25 September, 2021.
44. Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi has approved the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Italy on Cooperation in the field of Disaster Risk Reduction and Management on 15 September, 2021. MoU was signed between National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) of India and Department of Civil Protection of the Presidency of Council of Ministers of Italy.
45. Prime Minister Narendra Modi have been named among 100 most influential people of 2021 by the Time Magazine. Apart from PM Modi, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee and CEO of Serum Institute of India, Adar Poonawalla have also been named among the world's 100 most influential people.
46. US President Joe Biden administration has announced a new trilateral security partnership for the Indo-pacific. Security partnership was done between Australia, United Kingdom and United States. This security grouping called AUKUS, will focus towards advancing strategic interests in the Indo-Pacific region.
47. The United Nations children's fund (UNICEF) has called on education authorities to reopen schools as soon as possible, in countries where millions of students are allowed to go to their classrooms for 18 months amidst the covid-19 pandemic. Schools in about 17 countries remained fully closed, whereas, schools in 39 countries remained partially closed.
48. Prime Minister Narendra Modi called to develop a template by the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) at the virtual meeting on 17 September, 2021. Developing a template was called in order to effectively deal with the challenges of extremism and radicalisation.
49. China has applied to join the Asia-Pacific Free Trade grouping of 11-nation in a bid to increase its influence over international policies. Application was submitted by the Commerce Minister Wang Wentao, to the Trade Minister of New Zealand as a representative of Comprehensive & Progress Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership (CPTPP) or the Asia-Pacific free Trade grouping.
50. Hungary has unveiled the statue of Bitcoin founder Satoshi Nakamoto on 16 September, 2021. The imposing bronze statue was unveiled in Hungary's capital, Budapest. This is the first such statue across the world to pay homage to the creator of Bitcoin digital currency.
51. The World Bank Group has decided to stop publishing its "Doing Business report on country investment climates" because of allegations of irregularities. This decision was taken in the backdrop of probe of data irregularities allegedly because the pressure by top bank officials, for boosting China's ranking in 2017, came to light.
52. On 17 September, 2021 two Indian Projects have been selected to get the Environment Prize. One of the selected projects is- Solar-Powered Ironing Cart project that has been designed by a 14 year old Tamil Nadu schoolgirl. Second project is- Agricultural Waste Recycling Concept developed by an entrepreneur from Delhi.
53. India and El Salvador held their Third Foreign Office Consultations in San Salvador on 17 September, 2021. Indian side was led by Secretary (East), Riva Ganguly Das while and El Salvadoran side was led by Vice Minister of Foreign Affairs, Integration & Economic Promotion, Ambassador Adriana Maria Mira.
54. Two more beaches in India have received the 'Blue Flag' certification on 21 September, 2021. Blue flag certification is an international eco-level tag. With the addition of two beaches, the total number of such beaches in India have reached to 10.
55. Bangladesh Prime Minister, Sheikh Hasina, has been conferred with the "SDG Progress Award" and was introduced as the "jewel in the crown of the day" at an event on 20 September, 2021. Award was conferred by the UN-sponsored Sustainable Development Solutions Network (SDSN).
56. Guinness World Records has certified two Japanese sisters as the "oldest living identical twins" of the world on 20 September, 2021. Both the sisters are at 107. This certification date coincides with the "Respect for the Aged Day" which is a national holiday in Japan.
57. The Asian Development Bank (ADP) has reduced its forecast for India's GDP growth to 10 percent in 2021-22, from 11 percent it projected earlier. GDP growth was reduced as the downside risks were dominating the economic outlook. ADB also noted that, rising input costs is increasing the inflation to a faster pace of 5.5 percent, against 5.2 percent estimated earlier.
58. Indian Prime Minister, Narendra Modi will hold meeting with US President, Joe Biden on 24 September, 2021 in Washington. During the meeting, both the sides will discuss regarding the developments in Afghanistan, ways to combat radicalism, extremism & cross-border terrorism and expansion of India-US global partnership.
59. Sri Lanka is seeking for a $100 million loan from the International Monetary Fund (IMF) in order to procure 14 million doses of the Pfizer Covid-19 vaccine. With this loan, Sri Lanka would also finance other vaccination programme related costs. This proposal was put forward by the Minister of Health Keheliya Rambukwella.
60. Newly-appointed Foreign Minister of Nepal, Narayan Khadka, seeks to maintain friendly ties with India as well as China. He will work towards maintaining friendly and balanced relations with both the countries and forge national consensus with political parties on the foreign relations matters.
61. The World Health Organisation (WHO) has revised its global air quality guidelines and recommended more stringent standards for key pollutants. WHO set the new standards in the first update of its air quality guidelines since 2005. PM 2.5 norms for 24 hours average has been changed to 15 micro-g/m3 against 25 micro-g/m3 in 2005. While the PM 2.5 norms for annual average has been changed to 5 micro-g/m3 against the 10 micro-g/m3 in 2005.
62. India and United Arab Emirates (UAE) have launched the negotiations for a mutually beneficial comprehensive economic partnership agreement on 22 September, 2021. First round of CEPA negotiations will be held on 23 and 24 September.
63. The International Astronomical Union (IAU) has named a Lunar crater at the south pole of the moon after the Arctic explorer Matthew Henson. Matthew Henson was a Black man who was one of the first people who stand at the very top of the world, in 1909.
64. According to the head of U.N. food agency, David Beasley, 16 million people in Yemen "are marching towards starvation". David also warned that, food rations for millions in Yemen will be cut in October 2021 unless new funding reaches there.
65. UNICEF released its new report titled "Fed to Fail? The crisis of children's diets in early life" on 23 September, 2021. According to the report, Children aged under 2 are not getting the food or nutrients they need to thrive and grow well. This is leading to irreversible developmental harm.
66. India and Australia held their first Joint Working Group (JWG) meeting on Coal and Mines on 23 September, 2021 through Video conferencing. JWG meeting is a precursor to the upcoming India-Australia Energy Dialogue which is scheduled to be held in October 2021.
67. United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) and the International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT) have signed an agreement on Food security on 23 September, 2021. Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was signed on programmes and research in order to improve food, nutrition security and livelihoods across India.
68. The World Meteorological Organization (WMO) has published a new report titled "Climate Indicators and Sustainable Development: Demonstrating the Interconnections" on 22 September, 2021. Release of the WMO report coincides with the annual session of United Nations General Assembly and the opening of the SDG Action Zone, dedicated to accelerating action on the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
69. Prime Minister Narendra Modi met his Japanese counterpart Yoshihide Suga in-person on 23 September, 2021. During the meeting, both the leaders reaffirmed their commitment towards a free, open and inclusive Indo-Pacific region. They reviewed multi-faceted bilateral relationship as well as exchanged views on recent global developments like in Afghanistan.
70. Italy has recognised Covishield vaccine against the Coronavirus on 24 September, 2021. Covieshield vaccine against coronavirus was jointly developed by Oxford University & pharma giant AstraZeneca while it was manufactured by the Serum Institute of India.
71. The US International Development Finance Corporation (DFC) and the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) have jointly decided to sponsor a $55 million credit guarantee programme in India. This announcement was made on 24 September, 2021.
72. The first in-person meeting of the Quadrilateral Security Dialogue (Quad) of India, Australia, the United States and Japan, was held in Washington on 24 September, 2021. Meeting was participated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi along with leaders of the US, Japan, and Australia. US President Joe Biden is hosting all of them at the White House.
73. During the first leader-level meeting on energy, under the UN General Assembly, India has made commitments to increase the renewable energy installed capacity to 450 GW by 2030. India has also committed to develop and implement a National Hydrogen Energy Mission in order to boost the annual green hydrogen production to 1 MT by 2030.
74. Prime Minister Narendra Modi is set to address 76th session of the United Nations General Assembly in New York on 25 September, 2021. PM Modi is the first world leader who is scheduled to address the UN General Assembly. The UN General Assembly session is expected tp commence from 6.30 pm IST.
75. Central bank of China has declared all the Cryptocurrency transactions illegal on September 23, 2021. The global values of cryptocurrencies including Bitcoin have massively fluctuated in during 2020-2021 partly due to Chinese regulations, that sought to prevent speculation and money laundering.
76. France and Greece signed a multibillion-euro defence deal on 27 September, 2021, to boost the defence capabilities. The defence deal includes Athens' decision to buy three French warships under a strategy of boosting its defence capacities across the Eastern Mediterranean amid recurring tensions with Turkey.
77. The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has increased the allocation of Special Drawing Rights (SDR) to India in line with the existing quota of India in the fund. SDR is an alternate reserve currency which is floated by the IMF. SDR can be freely exchanged between the member countries instead of relying on currency of any one particular country.
78. According to a new red list by IUCN, world's sharks and rays have been witnessing declines in their populations since 2014 and are now threatened with extinction. New red list was released by IUCN at global conference with the aim of protecting dwindling species.
79. Scientists have excavated the remains of an ancient eagle near a barren, dried-up lake in Southern Australia. This majestic bird is believed to be 25 million years old when the land of southern Australia was teemed with lush forests. For eagle, this part of the land was teemed with helpless prey.
80. Union minister for health and family welfare, Mansukh Mandaviya, addressed the closing session of 4th Indo-US Health Dialogue on 28 September, 2021. This session was hosted by India. The two-day Dialogue deliberated upon several ongoing collaborations in the health sector between both the countries.
81. Najla Bouden Romdhane has become the first female prime minister of Tunisia on 29 September, 2021. She has been named as Prime Minister, two months after President Kais Saied assumed his charge, dismissed the former prime minister and suspended parliament.
82. According to United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), use of leaded petrol has been eradicated from the globe. UNEP highlighted, this milestone will prevent more than 1.2 million premature deaths and save over USD 2.4 trillion annually for world economies.
1. The Indian Navy signed a contract with the Bharat Limited (BEL) for the supply of the first indigenous comprehensive Naval Anti Drone System (NADS). The NADS comprises of both 'hard kill' and 'soft kill' capabilities. Contract was signed in the presence of representatives from Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and senior Naval officers in New Delhi on last month.
2. The Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS) has cleared the procurement of 56 transport aircraft from Airbus on 9 September, 2021. This decision would provide a major fillip to the transport fleet of Indian Air Force. This deal to buy the C-295MW transport aircraft will cost upwards of Rs. 20,000 crore.
3. Union Defence Minister, Rajnath Singh and Union Highways Minister, Nitin Gadkari inaugurated the Emergency Landing Facility on a National Highway in Rajasthan on 9 September, 2021. This emergency landing facility has been constructed on the Satta-Gandhav stretch of National Highway (NH) 925A in Barmer, Rajasthan.
4. Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has handed over the first deliverable Firing Unit (FU) of Medium Range Surface to Air Missile (MRSAM) System to Indian Air Force (IAF) on 9 September, 2021. In a significant boost to defence capabilities of India, MRSAM was handed over to IAF at Air Force Station, Jaisalmer in Rajasthan.
5. India has proposed to institutionalise "India Africa Defence Dialogue" during the successive DefExpos, to be held once in two years duration. Institutionalisation of the India Africa Defence Dialogue will help in building on existing partnerships between African countries and India.
6. The Indian military contingent consisting of an all arms combined force of 200 personnel, including 38 personnel from the Indian Air Force, is taking part in the Exercise PEACEFUL MISSION-2021. This exercise is being held in the Orenburg Region of South West Russia from 13 to 25 September, 2021.
7. Ministry of Defence has placed an order of worth Rs. 7,523 crore in order to procure 118 Main Battle Tanks (MBTs) Arjun for the Indian Army. Defence ministry placed this order with Heavy Vehicles Factory (HVF), Chennai to supply the 118 Arjun Mk-1A tanks. Arjun tank has been designed and developed by Defence Research & Development Organisation (DRDO).
8. Ministry of Defence (MoD) has signed a $2.5 billion contract for the acquisition of 56 Airbus C-295 aircraft on 24 September, 2021. 56 Airbus C-295 aircraft will replace the Indian Air Force's (IAF's) legacy fleet of Avro HS-748 aircraft. As per contract, Airbus will deliver the first 16 aircraft in 'fly-away' condition. It will be delivered from its final assembly line in Seville, Spain.
Business, Economy & Banking
1. Equitas Small Finance Bank (SFB) has launched a new initiative that enables Google Pay users to book fixed deposits (FDs) on Google Pay in just 2 minutes without opening a bank account. This functionality of booking FDs will be available for Google Pay users who are using the app from Android devices.
2. The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has increased the allocation of Special Drawing Rights (SDR) to India in line with the existing quota of India in the fund. SDR is an alternate reserve currency which is floated by the IMF. SDR can be freely exchanged between the member countries instead of relying on currency of any one particular country.
3. State-owned Coal India Ltd. (CIL) has started the pilot project to replace Diesel with LNG on 1 September, 2021. According to CIL, it started the process of retrofitting LNG kits in its dumpers, the big trucks that are engaged in transportation of coal. This move will help CIL to save around Rs. 500 crore annually.
4. According to Pune-based researchers, Indian Royal Jelly was found to surpass top-quality sellers like produced in Thailand and Taiwan. Royal Jelly are known for being a good antioxidant. It helps women with fertility issues. Indian Royal Jelly meets the ISO-prescribed standards prescribed by Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) in 2019.
5. New Development Bank (NDB) by BRICS group of nations has added United Arab Emirates, Uruguay and Bangladesh as the new members on 2 September, 2021. This first batch of new members were added to the bank as part of its expansion drive.
6. On 2 September, 2021, Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) awarded a 5-star 'Eat Right Station' certification to the Chandigarh Railway Station. This certification was awarded for providing high-quality, nutritious food to passengers.
7. Finance Minister, Nirmala Sitharaman, chaired the 24th meeting of Financial Stability and Development Council (FSDC) at Vigyan Bhavan, New Delhi. This council is considered as India's initiative to be better conditioned in preventing any economic crisis in future.
8. Amazon India announced the launch of Kisan Store. The store was launched by Union Minister for Agriculture and Farmers Welfare, Narendra Singh Tomar on 2 September, 2021. Kisan Store is an online platform that enable farmers of India to get access of more than 8,000 agriculture inputs like farm tools & accessories, seeds, plant protection, nutrition etc.
9. India's largest lender State Bank of India (SBI) announced on 3 September, 2021 that it has raised Rs 4,000 crore through additional Tier 1 (AT1) bonds. AT1 bonds were raised at a coupon rate of 7.72%. It the first such issuance in domestic market after the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) notified new rules.
10. The Varanasi-Chunar Cruise service started on 5 September, 2021 and added a new dimension to the tourism facilities in Varanasi. This cruise service in Ganga River will run from Varanasi to historic Chunar fort in Mirzapur. Tourists travelling to Varanasi can now travel around 30 km long journey in River Ganga. Tourists can now enjoy the day-long luxury cruise ride which starts at 9 a.m. in the morning from Ravidas ghat.
11. India's leading Fintech platform, PhonePe, which has now 300 million users, has introduced an interactive website called PhonePe Pulse, comprising of data, insight and key trends on virtual payments. PhonePe Pulse website features millions of transactions done by clients on an interactive map of India.
12. Indian Railways introduced a new economy class in the AC 3-tier trains. With the new coaches, the trains be able to accommodate more passengers. Tariff or ticket price for new coaches will be 8 per cent less than the normal AC 3-tier fares. The facility is being provided for the first time in "Prayagraj-Jaipur train (train no. 02403)".
13. HDFC Bank has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with National Small Industries Corporation (NSIC) to offer and strengthen credit support to MSMEs across India. Partnership with NSIC will help in boosting the MSME Sector growth which is the backbone of India in terms of economic development as well as job creation.
14. Central government has approved the production-linked incentive (PLI) scheme of worth Rs. 10,683 crore for the textiles sector on 8 September, 2021. This PLI scheme was approved in order to boost domestic manufacturing and exports. Scheme will help in creating direct additional employment of more than 7.5 lakh people and several supporting activities.
15. Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) approved an increase in Minimum Support Prices (MSP) for all the mandated Rabi crops on 8 September, 2021. MSP was increased for the Rabi Marketing Season (RMS) 2022-23 with the aim of realigning MSPs in favour of pulses, oilseeds, and coarse cereals. The Differential remuneration aims to encourage crop diversification.
16. Union Defence Minister, Rajnath Singh and Union Highways Minister, Nitin Gadkari inaugurated the Emergency Landing Facility on a National Highway in Rajasthan on 9 September, 2021. This emergency landing facility has been constructed on the Satta-Gandhav stretch of National Highway (NH) 925A in Barmer, Rajasthan.
17. Finance Ministry released the sixth monthly instalment of revenue deficit grant of Rs 9871 crores to 17 states, on 9 September, 2021. Grants were released on the recommendations of 15th Finance Commission to 17 states for 2021-22. Grants are released on the recommendations of the 15th Finance Commission in monthly instalments in order to meet the gap in revenue accounts of the states post-devolution.
18. Railway Ministry has closed down the Indian Railways Organization of Alternate Fuel (IROAF), in effect from 7 September, 2021. IROAF is a separate enterprise that works in the field of green fuels for transport. It recently invited bids for hydrogen fuel cell-based technology to run the trains. This closure would not affect the ongoing projects or contracts of IROA. With some administrative change, projects will be executed as usual.
19. Union minister of Civil Aviation, Jyotiraditya Scindia, announced a 100-day plan for India's civil aviation sector on 9 September, 2021. Minister also unveiled policy measures and development of airports & heliports. This plan would focus on 16 areas. Out of these, 8 is related to policy and 4 is related to reforms.
20. Union Minister of State for Health & Family Welfare, Bharati Pravin Pawar, inaugurated "Digital Population Clock" on 10 September, 2021. Minister also presided over the Seminar on Population, Human Capital and Sustainable Development. Digital Population Clock was inaugurated at the Institute for Economic Growth inside the University of Delhi.
21. Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the state of art Sardardham Bhavan at Ahmedabad through video conferencing on 11 September, 2021. He also laid the foundation stone of Sardardham Phase-II Kanya Chhatralay on the occasion. Sardardham Bhavan has been constructed at the cost of 200 crore rupees.
22. As per director of economic think-tank NCAER, Poonam Gupta, the Indian economy is expected to grow by 10 per cent during the financial year 2021-22. This growth will pick up because of fewer COVID-19-linked supply disruptions, increased demand of contact-intensive disruptions & traditional services and buoyancy in the global economy.
23. According to union government, land records have been integrated with the e-portal of central government, by most states except three. Government further noted that, procurement in the Kharif Marketing season 2021-22 will be done as per new mechanism.
24. Central government has allowed 11 states to borrow an additional fund of Rs. 15,721 crore from the market, because they achieved the capital expenditure target that finance ministry had set for June quarter the fiscal year 2021-22. States that have been allowed to borrow include- Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Haryana, Kerala, Madhya Pradesh, Manipur, Meghalaya, Nagaland, Rajasthan and Uttarakhand.
25. Union Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers' Welfare signed five memorandums of understanding (MoUs) with the private companies on September 14, 2021. MoUs were signed for pilot projects with five private companies namely, CISCO, ITC Limited, Ninjacart, Jio Platforms Limited, and NCDEX e-Markets Limited (NeML).
26. Union Minister for Road Transport and Highways, Nitin Gadkari, addressed the 17th Indo-US Economic Summit 'Bouncing Back-Resilient Recovery Path Post Covid-19' on September 14, 2021. During the address, minister noted that the bilateral trade between India and the US has increased from $16 billion to $149 billion in the last two decades and it is projected to reach $500 billion by 2025.
27. The Union cabinet has approved a relief package for telecom sector on 15 September, 2021. The relief package includes a four-year moratorium on payment of statutory dues by telecom companies. Cabinet has also allowed 100 percent foreign investment (FDI) through the automatic route.
28. Union Cabinet has approved a Rs. 26058 crore production linked incentive (PLI) scheme on 15 September, 2021, for auto, auto-components and drone industries in order to enhance India's manufacturing capabilities. PLI scheme will help in incentivising the emergence of global supply chain of advanced automotive technologies in India.
29. The United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) has released its Trade and Development report on 15 September, 2021. According to the report, India's economic growth rate will increased to a four-year high of 7.2 per cent in 2021 as compared to a contraction of 7 per cent in 2020.
30. NITI Aayog, in association with the RMI and RMI India, launched Shoonya campaign on September 15, 2021. Shoonya campaign is an initiative to work with consumers and industry in order to promote pollution-free delivery vehicles. This campaign was launched with the aim of accelerating the adoption of electric vehicles (EVs) in urban delivery segment and raise consumer awareness regarding the benefits of pollution-free delivery.
31. Union Government has approved the decks for National Asset reconstruction Company Limited (NARCL) on 16 September, 2021. This proposal requires the government to guarantee Security Receipts (SR) issued by NARCL, while buying non-performing assets (NPAs) from banks. This move will clear the path for launching NARCL.
32. Reserve Bank has given its nod to the Ujjivan Small Finance Bank (SFB) to form a special committee of directors on 15 September, 2021 in order to oversee the operations in absence of an MD and CEO. Special Committee of Directors will comprise of three independent directors as its members. This committee will oversee the operations and administration of the bank in effect from 16 September.
33. Indian Railways took a leap in advancement of Skill India Mission by launching the "Rail Kaushal Vikas Yojana (RKVY)" under the aegis of "Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY)". RKVY was launched by Minister of Railways, Ashwini Vaishnaw. This Mission will provide Railways an entry level training in industry relevant skills with the help of 75 Railway training institutes across India.
34. NITI Aayog released its "Building Urban Planning Capacity in India" on 16 September, 2021. As per report, India needs a Central sector scheme to build 500 'healthy cities' over the next five years as well as a thorough revamp of town-planning acts in states in order to meet future challenges of urbanisation.
35. NITI Aayog has partnered with BYJU'S on 17 September, 2021, in a bid to provide free access to education to students in 112 Aspirational Districts in India. Under the partnership, Byju's will provide free access to its high-quality and tech-driven learning programmes to students in order to ensure access to quality education.
36. 45th GST council Meeting was chaired by Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman on 17 September, 2021 in Lucknow. Discussions over bringing petrol diesel under the GST regime was discussed and several key decisions were taken. Issue of Petrol & Diesel was discussed as Kerala High Court had questioned it. However, Council decided not to put petrol and diesel under GST.
37. According to Agriculture Ministry, India's food grain production is expected to touch a record of 150.50 million tonne in the Kharif season of 2021 with a better rice output. In the Kharif season of 2020-21 crop year, food grain output consisting of rice, pulses & coarse cereals were at 149.56 million tonnes.
38. Union Minister for Commerce & Industry, Textiles, Consumer Affairs & Distribution, Piyush Goyal, launched the "National Single Window System" for Investors and Businesses on 22 September, 2021. National Single Window System is a giant leap, towards making India Aatmanirbhar.
39. About 150 leading companies and organisations including oil majors & port authorities called on 22 September, 2021 for decarbonising the global shipping industry completely by 2050. These companies also urged the governments to step up their action warning time was limited.
40. The Automotive Research Association of India (ARAI) has developed its indigenous charger for electric vehicles (EV) in order to give a push to EV ecosystem in India. According to ARAI Director, Reji Mathai, in order to promote EVs, infrastructure for charging is important.
41. According to India's federal cyber security agency, CERT-In, a banking Trojan malware has been detected in Indian cyberspace. This trojan is lurking to attack bank customers using Android phones. As per Indian Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT-In), Trojan malware has already targeted customers of more than 27 public and private sector banks.
42. The Patents (Amendment) Rules, 2021 came into effect on 21 September, 2021 by amending the Patents Rules 2003. By amending the rules, Union Government has reduced the patent filing and processing fees that are charged on educational institutions by 80%. This reduction in fees is at par with similar concession available to start-ups under the Start-up India initiative.
43. Reserve Bank of India (RBI) released its "Deposits with Scheduled Commercial Banks – March 2021 data" on 23 September, 2021. As per RBI data, Bank deposits have increased by 11.9 per cent year-on-year during 2020-21 as compared to 8.8 per cent in 2019-20.
44. International start-up hubs ranking 2021 was recently compiled and published by Start-up Genome for its annual Global Start-up Ecosystem Report 2021. As per the comprehensive ranking of international start-ups, London, Mumbai and Bangalore have been featured among the world's top start-up hubs.
45. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) allowed, on 23 September, 2021, lenders to sell loans that are tagged as fraud to the asset reconstruction companies (ARCs). This permission by RBI potentially paves the way for focussed recovery efforts on loans worth trillions of rupees.
46. World's highest EV charging station was opened at Kaza town, which is located in of Lahaul and Spiti district of Himachal Pradesh. The EV charging station was opened on 23 September, 2021 in order to promote a sustainable environment. It is the world's highest electric vehicle charging station located at 500 ft.
47. Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) has started a historic initiative to set up first ever Tussar Silk Yarn Production Centre at Choudwar in Cuttack district in Odisha. The silk yarn production centre was inaugurated on 24 September, 2021 by Chairman of KVIC, Vinai Kumar Saxena.
48. The US International Development Finance Corporation (DFC) and the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) have jointly decided to sponsor a $55 million credit guarantee programme in India. This announcement was made on 24 September, 2021. This credit guarantee programme seeks to address the economic impact of covid-19.
49. Ministry of Civil Aviation released an "interactive digital airspace map" for flying drones, that demarcates areas into different zones for flying drones across India. Zones for flying drones also include yellow and red zones. The release of the map is in line with the revamped drone rules which are based on premises of self-certification and non-intrusive monitoring of the activities.
50. The markets regulator, Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) tightened norms for related-party transactions on 28 September, 2021 in order to boost corporate governance standards. It approved a framework of spot trading in gold. With this approval, SEBI has made it easier for start-up founders to retain control.
51. The Union Minister of Commerce & Industry, Piyush Goyal, launched "Ease of Logistic Portal" on 27 September, 2021. While launching the portal, the minister noted that the 'Rules of Business' have to be the same for all stakeholders. Portal was launched during 'Vanijya Saptah Samapan Samaroh', which was organised by the Federation of Indian Export Organisations (FIEO).
52. Ministry of road transport and highways announced the detailed procedure of setting "Registered Vehicle Scrapping Facility (RVSF)" under the "vehicle scrapping policy". Vehicle Scrapping Policy was launched in It was announced by Union finance minister Nirmala Sitharaman in Budget 2021.by prime minister Narendra Modi last month.
Science & Technology
1. World's first Plant-based smart air-purifiers called "Ubreathe Life" by the scientists of Indian Institutes of Technology, Ropar & Kanpur, and Faculty of Management Studies of Delhi University. Ubreathe Life amplifies the air purification process in indoor spaces like schools, hospitals, offices, and homes.
2. Twitter launched a long-promised "Super Follows" feature on 1 September, 2021. The 'Super follow' feature allows creators to sell subscriptions in order to access the special content. This feature was launched as Twitter strives to be a preferred online venue for clickable stars and seeks to boost its own income in the manner that it doesn't clutter the platform up with ads or promotions.
3. Recently, a mystery fever was reported from parts of Uttar Pradesh. It claimed about 40 lives, mostly children in one week. This viral fever was identified as Scrub typhus. Scrub typhus was reported mainly from Firozabad, Agra, Mainpuri, Etah and Kasganj districts of Uttar Pradesh.
4. The Drug Controller General of India (DCGI) gave approval to another indigenous COVID-19 vaccine candidate called CORBEVAX for two clinical trials. Vaccine maker Biological E received approval to conduct phase two and three clinical trials on children between five to eighteen years of age.
5. Researchers from the Indian Institute of Science (IISc) and Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) have developed device to conduct microbial experiments in outer space. This modular, self-contained device can be used to cultivate microorganisms which in turn, enable scientists to carry out biological experiments even in outer space.
6. Chandrayaan-2 spacecraft of India has completed more than 9,000 orbits around the Moon. Imaging and other scientific instruments on the aircraft have been providing excellent useful data since then. Lunar Science Workshop 2021 is a two-day workshop, organised by Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO). The workshop started on 6 September, 2021.
7. Central government announced an Aadhaar-like authentication system on 10 September, 2021 to access the covid vaccination status of an individual on the CoWin platform. This new application programming interface (API) has been developed by CoWin. It is called 'Know Your Customer's or Client's Vaccination Status' or KYC-VS.
8. Union Minister of State for Health & Family Welfare, Bharati Pravin Pawar, inaugurated "Digital Population Clock" on 10 September, 2021. Minister also presided over the Seminar on Population, Human Capital and Sustainable Development. Digital Population Clock was inaugurated at the Institute for Economic Growth inside the University of Delhi.
9. Colexion, largest licenced NFT (non-fungible tokens) platform, announced the formal public lunch on 10 September, 2021. Colexion is a NFT platform for Sports, Entertainment & Art. NFTs are the next billion-dollar evolution, that clearly states that digital ecosystem of sport, entertainment & art is perhaps the biggest thing to happen in upcoming years.
10. According to the chief of Indian Space Research Organisation, K Sivan, India will soon come out with a new foreign direct investment (FDI) policy for the space sector. While speaking at the International Space Conference organised by Confederation of Indian Industry (CII), the chief said, India's space FDI policy is getting revised and it will open huge avenues of opportunities for foreign space companies to invest in Indian Space Sector.
11. IIT-Bombay launched its "Project Udaan" on the occasion of Hindi Diwas on 14 September, 2021. Project Udaan was launched with the aim of breaking the language barrier that many students face while joining the institutes of higher education.
12. SpaceX launched four amateurs on its first ever private flight on 15 September, 2021. SpaceX first ever "Earth-circling trip" was started onboarding two contest winners, a health care worker as well as their rich sponsor. This is the most ambitious leap in space tourism.
13. A new sero survey was conducted in between 12 August to 9 September, 2021 in the anticipation of a third wave of covid-19 infection. This is the firth sero survey by the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation. This study was conducted on the 8,674 samples. These samples were collected thorough systematic random sampling from all the 24 city wards, and people visiting municipal dispensaries & doctors' offices in slum as well as non-slum areas.
14. According to a study, published in the journal BMJ Open, out of 150 patients hospitalised for Covid in the United States in the initial phase of the pandemic, 73 per cent had delirium. According to the study, patients with delirium tended to be sicker, with other comorbidities like hypertension and diabetes. They appeared to have more severe Covid-related illness.
15. According to India's federal cyber security agency, CERT-In, a banking Trojan malware has been detected in Indian cyberspace. This trojan is lurking to attack bank customers using Android phones. As per Indian Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT-In), Trojan malware has already targeted customers of more than 27 public and private sector banks.
16. As per Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) study, India is all set and is on the right track to become industrial trans fat-free by 2022. In India, only 1.34 percent of the newly tested processed food samples shows more than the permissible levels of ingredients.
17. CSIR-CMERI has handed over the "CSIR-CMERI developed Solar DC Cooking System" to Asansol Braille Academy in West Bengal on 22 September, 2021. This Solar DC Cooking System is a "Solar Energy based Cooking System" that comprises of solar PV panel, battery bank, charge controller and cooking oven.
18. The Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Delhi has set up a 'Centre of Excellence (CoE) on Quantum Technologies' in a bid to conduct research activities in the related field. This CoE will bring synergy and coherence in the activities that are being carried out at IIT Delhi, It will also support the principal investigators to pitch in for several significant projects from the DST and other agencies.
19. Recently, an international team of researchers directly detected the dark energy with the help of advanced technologies and new experiments. Dark energy is a mysterious form of energy, making up about 68% of the universe. This energy has intrigued physicists as well as astronomers for decades.
20. The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has tested a new version of Akash Missile called 'Akash Prime' on 27 September, 2021. It was launched from the Integrated Test Range (ITR) of Chandipur, Odisha, Missile intercepted and destroyed an unmanned aerial target mimicking an enemy aircraft during its maiden flight test after improvements.
21. Facebook Inc is set to invest $50 million to partner with organizations in order to build metaverse, which is a digital world where people can use different devices to communicate and move in a virtual environment. Facebook is the world's largest social network that has invested heavily in virtual reality and augmented reality.
22. On 28 September, 2021, Pfizer Inc. announced that the first batch of participants have been dosed with the single dose quadrivalent mRNA vaccine in a Phase 1 clinical trial. Under the phase 1 trial, safety, tolerability, and immunogenicity of the single dose quadrivalent mRNA vaccine will be studied against influenza in healthy adults.
23. E-commerce giant, Amazon India, announced the launch of "Amazon Future Engineer" on September 27, 2021 in India. Amazon Future is its global computer science education programme. As per company, Amazon future programme will enable access to quality computer science education as well as career opportunities for students from underrepresented and underserved communities.
24. Indian Institute of technology, Hyderabad (IIT-H) developed a hydrogel from discarded corneas that can be used as an alternative to Corneal transplantation. Research team was led by Dr Falguni Pati, an Associate Professor at Department of Bio-medical Engineering at IIT-H.
1. The Union Ministry of Women and Child Development has planned to organise and celebrate Thematic POSHAN Maah in September 2021. POSHAN Abhiyaan is the flagship programme of government of India to improve nutritional outcomes for pregnant women, lactating mother, children and adolescent Girls. This mission was launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on the occasion of International Women's Day on 8 March, 2018.
2. Lok Sabha speaker, Om Birla, inaugurated a parliamentary outreach programme to empower Panchayati Raj Institutions (PRIs) in the union territory of Jammu and Kashmir. Programme was inaugurated at Sher-i-Kashmir International Convention Centre in Srinagar.
3. Chief Minister of Punjab, Amarinder Singh, launched 'Innovation Mission Punjab' (IMPunjab) on 1 September, 2021. IMPunjab is a public-private partnership mission that will bring in global investors and experts to catalyze start-ups. This Mission will boost the growth potential of Punjab and create a thriving economy by means of generating jobs and inviting investment.
4. Jammu and Kashmir Lieutenant Governor, Manoj Sinha, launched the Rural Enterprises Acceleration Programme called 'Saath' for Self Help Group (SHG) women on 1 September, 2021. This initiative will help about 48000 SHGs in which about four lakh women are connected, in Jammu and Kashmir.
5. Ayush Ministry launched the campaign called "AYUSH AAPKE DWAR" from some 45 locations across India on 3 September, 2021. Campaign was launched by Minister of State for Ayush from Ayush Bhawan by distributing medicinal plants to staff. About 21 states are participating in launch activities in which more than 2 lakh saplings will be distributed across India.
6. Chief Minister of Arunachal Pradesh, Pema Khandu, launched two ambitious schemes on 3 September, 2021. One scheme was launched in agriculture sector, called 'Atmanirbhar Krishi Yojana', and Second scheme was launched in horticulture sector, called 'Atmanirbhar Bagwani Yojana'.
7. Governing body of Vatan Prem Yojana held its first meeting on 4 September, 2021. The Vatan Prem Yojana was launched on 7 August, 2021. They held the meeting at Gandhinagar under the chairmanship of Chief Minister Vijay Rupani. Presentation of details of the scheme was put before the chief minister.
8. Government of Tamil Nadu recently announced its plan to set up India's first Dugong Conservation Reserve in the Palk Bay on the southeast coast. Dugong or sea cow is an endangered marine mammal. It is facing extinction because of habitat loss, sea pollution, and loss of seagrass.
9. Prime Minister, Narendra Modi, launched Vidyanjali Portal and several other initiatives in the education sector on 7 September, 2021. These initiatives were launched while asserting that they will play a significant role in shaping India's future. Initiatives were launched while inaugurating the conclave of 'Shikshak Parv'.
10. Minister of State of Jal Shakti Ministry, Shri Prahlad Singh Patel, launched the "Swachh Survekshan Grameen 2021" under Swachh Bharat Mission (Grameen) Phase -II. It was launched at an event organized by Department of Drinking Water and Sanitation (DDWS) on 9 September, 2021.
11. On 11 September, 2021, the Union Minister of State for Food Processing Industries, Prahlad Singh Patel, inaugurated a Food Processing Unit of M/s Sahara Frozen Foods in Morena, Madhya Pradesh. Food Processing Unit was inaugurated under a central sector cold chain scheme called Pradhan Mantri Kisan SAMPADA Yojana. It was launched on the last day of Food Processing Week.
12. According to the Union Tribal Affairs minister, Arjun Munda, Pradhan Mantri Adarsh Gram Yojana will be started in 36000 villages of India. Under the scheme, villages having 50 percent tribal population would be given priority. This scheme would be started by Ministry of Tribal Affairs.
13. Chhattisgarh government launched the "Millet Mission" on 14 September, 2021 with the objective of making the state a millet hub of India. On the occasion of launch of the mission, Chief Minister Bhupesh Baghel noted that state will soon become the millet hub of India.
14. State Cabinet has approved the transfer of 15 acres of government land in favour of the Tribal welfare Department for construction of Eklavya Model Residential School, in Visakhapatnam district. Eklavya Model Residential School will be constructed at the Majjivalasa village of Araku Valley mandal in Visakhapatnam district.
15. Swachhata Pakhwada 2021 was launched at the Cochin Port Trust and the Swachhata pledge was administered in all departments on 16 September, 2021. On the occasion, shramdaan cleaning activities were also started in the Port areas. Activities that were proposed during the Pakhwada comprise of cleaning of work places, crafts & public spaces and office premises within the Port area.
16. The Ministry of Law and Justice has launched a Pan-India Special Campaign called "Ek Pahal Drive" for Justice Delivery at doorstep on 17 September, 2021. The campaign was launched in a bid to encourage mass registration under Tele-Law. The campaign was launched by Department of Justice and NALSA. This campaign seeks to actualize the aspiration of access to justice for citizens in India.
17. Prime Minister Narendra Modi is set to announce the rollout of the Pradhan Mantri Digital Health Mission (PM-DHM) across the nation on 27 September, 2021. This scheme will be launched with the aim of harnessing technology in order to improve the effectiveness, efficiency, and transparency of healthcare delivery across India.
18. Union Government notified regarding the Production Linked Incentive (PLI) Scheme for Automobile & Auto components on 23 September, 2021. Earlier government had approved the PLI Scheme for Automobile and Auto Component Industry on September 15, 2021.
19. National Institute of Rural Development and Panchayati Raj (NIRD&PR), Hyderabad under the Ministry of Rural Development (MoRD) presented "Hunarbaaz Awards" to 75 diyangjan candidates. Awards were presented to candidates from 15 states as a part of Azaadi ka Amrit Mahotsav on 25 September, 2021.
20. Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the Ayushman Bharat Digital Mission on 27 September, 2021. Under this mission, a unique digital health ID will be provided to the people. This ID will contain all the health records of person. This mission was launched under the pilot project National Digital Health Mission.
21. National Commission for Women (NCW) launched a nationwide training and capacity building programme for women in dairy farming. To launch the training programme, NCW is collaborating with agricultural universities in India in order to identify and train women working in the field of dairy farming and allied activities in several like value addition, quality enhancement and packaging & marketing of dairy products.
22. Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment has launched India's First Pan-India helpline for Senior Citizens, called "Elder Line" having a Toll-Free No. 14567. This line will extend support to senior citizens in the challenges and problems they face.
23. Union Agriculture Minister Narendra Singh Tomar launched 'Amul Honey' on 28 September, 2021. Amul Honey is a product of Gujarat Cooperative Milk Marketing Federation Ltd. This product was launched under cooperation with the 'National Bee Board (NBB)'.
24. Union Cabinet has approved the continuation of PM POSHAN scheme in Schools, which is a Centrally Sponsored National Scheme. PM POSHAN scheme would run for five more years. It will run from 2021-2022 to 2025-26. Scheme has been approved with a financial outlay of 54,062 crore rupees from the Central Government.
Awards & Honours
1. Bangladeshi scientist, Dr Firdausi Qadri, won the Ramon Magsaysay Award. Dr Qadri is an emeritus scientist at the International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research, Bangladesh (icddr,b).
2. Tamil Nadu government has decided to celebrate the birth anniversary of reformist leader E V Ramasamy Periyar "Social Justice Day". E V Ramasamy Periyar was born on 17 September. This day will now be celebrated as 'Social Justice Day' every year. Periyar's ideology was all about social justice, equality, self-respect, and rationalism.
3. Tamil Nadu government has decided to commemorate the death anniversary of Subramania Bharathi, a firebrand poet & freedom fighter, as Mahakavi Day. Death anniversary of Subramania Bharati is on 11 September. Year 2021 will mark the 100th death anniversary of the poet.
4. Bhupendra Patel sworn in as the Chief Minister of Gujarat on 13 September, 2021. He was sworn in by Governor Acharya Devvrat at the Raj Bhavan, Gandhinagar. He took oath a day after he was elected as Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) legislature party leader.
5. Prime Minister Narendra Modi have been named among 100 most influential people of 2021 by the Time Magazine. Apart from PM Modi, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee and CEO of Serum Institute of India, Adar Poonawalla have also been named among the world's 100 most influential people.
6. On 17 September, 2021 two Indian Projects have been selected to get the Environment Prize. One of the selected projects is- Solar-Powered Ironing Cart project that has been designed by a 14-year-old Tamil Nadu schoolgirl. Second project is- Agricultural Waste Recycling Concept developed by an entrepreneur from Delhi.
7. Vice-President M. Venkaiah Naidu presented the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) innovation on 26 September, 2021. Awards were presented to two Class 10 students from Udupi district in a virtual ceremony. Those students are Anusha and Rakshitha Naik from Charamakki Narayana Shetty Memorial Government High School in Ardi Village.
8. Right Livelihood Award 2021 was conferred to Delhi-based environmental organisation "Legal Initiative for Forest and Environment (LIFE)". This award is also known as "Sweden's alternative Nobel Prize". LIFE has received the award for its "grassroots approach to empower vulnerable communities in protecting their livelihoods and claiming their right for a clean environment".
1. Avani Lekhara has become the 1st Indian women to win two Paralympic medals at a single edition of the Paralympics on 3 September, 2021. Avani Lekhara won a bronze medal in women's 50m Rifle 3 Positions (SH1) event. She made history with a third-place finish.
2. Suhas Lalinakere Yathiraj, current district magistrate of Noida, has become the first IAS officer to win Paralympics medal. He ended his campaign with the winning of historic silver. He lost gold to top seed Lucas Mazur of France in the men's singles SL4 class final at the Tokyo Paralympics on 5 September.
3. Lewis Hamilton has become the first ever Formula-one driver who reached to his 100 wins after finishing at first in the Russian Grand Prix on 26 September, 2021. Lewis Hamilton, the seven-time World Champion, overtook the long-time race leader Lando Norris late on. Norris, was aiming for a maiden Grand Prix victory. He was leading for most of the race.