Tell me about yourself?
This is one of the most common questions in an interview and usually tops the list of the interviewer’s questions. It provides you a ‘golden opportunity’ to showcase what you have within you. One can even say, that, it is the ‘display window’ of your shop which becomes the basis of decision-making of the interviewer if he wants to enter the shop for further details and make a deal or just walk away!
The key to make best use of this question is to include ALL the following points in your answer:
1. Start with your name and the city and state from where you hail from.
2. An overview of your academic and professional qualifications in ascending order. Following the same, line up your achievements in descending order.
3. A brief synopsis of two or maximum three projects of which you have been part of (this is specifically important for experienced candidates). Mention your role in those projects.
4. Mention your exceptional qualities, if any. Include them only if you think its relevant and can earn you a brownie point by impressing the interviewer(s).
5. Do mention about your family background - place where they reside, members in family and their occupation.
However, there a few things which you need to take extra care of-
1. In no possibility should the answer take more than 5 minutes. Keep it short but contended at the same time.
2. Be prepared for any sort of counter-questions that can be derived from your this answer.
3. Beware of how you speak. Never let the interviewer feel that you have mugged things up.
Now, it’s time for 'participation':
*Assume that you are sitting in the interview room now.
*You have been asked to ‘tell something about yourself’. Go ahead; give it a try on how to answer the same. Post your own answers and get them reviewed .