Why did you resign from your previous job?
The main purpose behind conducting an interview is that the organization wants to assure if a candidate is a perfect fit for the company. This question shall put you into an awkward situation but your answer to this question shall indicate the level of wisdom, maturity, practical approach that you possess.
You shall always find your seniors advising you to first have a new job offer in hand before you resign from your current job. If you are planning to hunt for a new job after having resigned from the current job, then, beware because it involves a lot of risk. This is a brave decision to make. Take this decision only after you have enough faith in yourself and the confidence that you have undergone considerable learning and that your abilities shall earn you a new job opportunity.
If you are the one who falls in this category of job-seekers, then, rest assured that this particular question is awaiting you in the interview room. Hence, prepare your answer beforehand. Keep the following points in mind:
1. Never speak bad words for your previous employer. Remember, this shall depict a crucial part of your character because the interviewer(s) shall then think that sometime in future you would speak bad words even for him/them. Moreover, this shows a lack of gratitude on your part towards your employer(s) because no matter what your employer is after all your employer. This very fact demands for a basic degree of respect and gratitude for him.
2. Tell them about how your skill set did not match with the organization’s requirement or the job profiles’ demand; if that was the reason for your resigning.
3. Express yourself. Be honest. Tell whatever genuine reason you had for having taken the decision of resigning. The reason might be from your personal life as well. For example, you might have had an immediate need to shift to your hometown, that particular work schedule might be having its toll on your health or personal life and hence you needed to fix it, lack of work ethics among the co-workers there, etc.
4. You can even mention about any of your quality(s) which was highly appreciated by that employer.
5. Be bold and smart enough to state the truth just in case you had been fired from the job.
Now, it’s time for 'participation':
*Assume that you are sitting in the interview room now.
*You have been asked to ‘Why did you resign from your previous job’. Go ahead; give it a try on how to answer the same. Post your own answers and get them reviewed .